The top prospects start to filter back down to the minor league games. Some big pitching names taking the mound today.
Memphis 4, Las Vegas 4
Michael Wacha allowed 1 walk and 1 hit over 3 innings. He struck out 4. The question seems to be whether Wacha will start at Springfield or Memphis given his impressive spring training.
- Barrett Browning was lit up for for 3 runs (2 earned) on 4 hits and 3 walks in 1 inning. He struck out 1.
- Kevin Siegrist allowed a hit and a walk while striking out 1 in 2 innings of work.
- Jamie Romak went 2-for-4 with a double and a walk.
- Starlin Rodriguez was 1-for-4 with a double. Rodriguez is likely slated for a starting position on the Springfield squad after an impressive year at Palm Beach where he hit for a .375 wOBA.
Springfield 2, Binghamton 2
- Scott McGregor allowed 3 hits in 3 scoreless innings. He struck out 1.
- Seth Blair had another walkless outing. He threw 3 innings allowing 3 hits and 2 runs while striking out 4.
- Dean Kiekhefer allowed a hit and struck out 1 in 2 innings pitched.
- Jesus Montero was 2-for-2.
Tyler Rahmatulla was 1-for-3. Rahmatulla remains one of my favorite down draft prospects. He's got to work to reclaim his momentum after a truly awful half season in Palm Beach.
- Stephen Piscotty was 1-for-4.
Palm Beach 8, St. Lucie 4
- Kyle Hald showed an unusual lack of control walking 4 in 2.1 innings. He allowed 4 runs on 5 hits while striking out 2. Hald is just shy of a 5:1 K:BB ratio in the minors in 190+ innings.
- Tim Cooney struck out 4 in 3 innings allowing 2 hits and 1 walk.
- Hector Hernandez struck out 3 in 2 innings. He walked 1.
- C.J. McElroy was 3-for-4 with a triple.
- Breyvic Valera was 2-for-3 with a walk.
- Carson Kelly was 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Jeremy Schaffer was 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles.
- Jordan Walton was 2-for-4 with a double and a home run.
Peoria 3, Savannah 4
- Tyrell Jenkins walked 3 in 2.1 innings and allowed 4 hits. He escaped allowing just 1 earned run and struck out 1.
- Silfredo Garcia struck out 4 in 2.2 innings of work. He allowed 3 runs on 3 hits and 2 walks. Garcia posted some eye-popping numbers in the Gulf Coast League and Johnson City last year after two mediocre efforts in 2010 & 2011. Watch to see if he can continue the strikeouts in 2013.
- Yunier Castillo allowed 1 walk in 2 scoreless frames.
- Michael Swinson was 3-for-4 with a pair of stolen bases. I don't think Swinson's bat will get him to the majors but he's a lot of fun to watch play. He's a burner on the bases.
- Roman Wick was 1-for-2 with a triple and a walk.
Squad #1 6, Squad #2 5
- Ben O'Shea struck out 2 and walked 2 in 3 innings of work. He allowed 2 hits and 1 earned run.
- Jeff Rauh allowed 2 unearned runs on 4 hits in 2 innings. He struck out 3.
- Norge Paredes allowed 1 unearned run on 2 hits and 2 walks while striking out 2 in 2 frames of work.
- David Washington was 4-for-5 with a triple and a home run.
- Johan Acevedo was 2-for-5 with a walk.
- Cesar Valera was 2-for-5.
- Gary Apelian was 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles.
- Max Foody allowed 4 hits in 2.2 innings for 3 earned runs. He walked 1.
- Anderson Gerdel was perfect for 3 innings striking out 2.
- Garrett Wittels -- another recent convert to pitching -- struck out 3 in 2 innings. He allowed 2 runs (1 earned) on 1 hit and 2 walks.
- Brett Wiley was 2-for-3. He collected 8 bases with a home run, triple and a walk.
- Rafael Medina was 2-for-4.