clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Daily Farm Report: Palm Beach Rallies, DSL Continues Play

New, 4 comments

Recapping Monday’s action down on the farm.

Baseball: World Baseball Classic-Canada at Dominican Republic Logan Bowles-USA TODAY Sports

It was an odd slate of action in the Cardinal’s system yesterday. The big league club enjoyed a day off, as did Memphis, Springfield and Peoria. Up to this point that would’ve meant only Palm Beach would have taken the field, but the DSL continued play with their second game of the year. All of this, of course, was overshadowed by the MLB Draft. If all goes well, we should be seeing Nolan Gorman, Griffin Roberts and Luken Baker in these write-ups in the not too distant future.

Palm Beach Cardinals 4 at Fort Myers Miracle 3

Evan Kruczynski (SP): 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

Austin Sexton (RP): 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K’s

Johan Mieses (RF): 3-4, 2B, RBI, R

Andy Young (2B): 1-4, RBI, R

Side note: This is the first time I’ve spelled Kruczynski without having to double-check the box score, and I tried to pat myself on the back but the human anatomy is such that it isn’t all that satisfying to do it yourself. Anyways, said Palm Beach starter went just two innings to open the game but was effective over those two frames nonetheless. He was relieved by John Zgardowski (yes, I still have to check the box score on that one) who gave up three earned runs across 2.2 innings of work. Austin Sexton, Robbie Gordon, and Will Latcham combined to finish off the game.

This was a game of late heroics by Palm Beach. The squad broke a 0-0 tie with Fort Myers in the top of the fifth when outfielder Johan Mieses scored on an error. The lead was short-lived, however, as the Miracle (Miracles?) responded with three runs in the bottom of the inning. The Cardinals would rally to overcome the 3-1 deficit in the top of the ninth. Mieses drew the game back to a tie with an RBI single, before Andy Young plated the winning run. Will Latcham picked up the save for Palm Beach, getting out of a jam by inducing a fly out.

The win moves Palm Beach to 31-21 on the season. They’ll take on Fort Myers again tonight at 6:00 CST.

DSL Twins 15 at DSL Cardinals Blue 4

Francis Venture (SP): 0.1 IP, 4 H, 7 R, 1 BB, 0 K’s

Darlin Moquette (RF): 2-4, 3B, RBI, BB, 2 R

Pablo Gomez (2B): 1-4, 2B, RBI

Carlos Soler (CF): 0-3, RBI

Welcome to the early part of the complex season, when 95% of the names are unfamiliar and the other 5% you vaguely recall from J2 write-ups. One name you might recall is Carlos Soler, an eighteen year old outfielder who was a part of the July signing class two years ago. At the time, Soler was billed as a rangy, athletic outfielder with a high ceiling. He was listed at 6’3, 165lb, and has plenty of room on his frame to fill out but may retain the wheels for centerfield. He’s very much a malleable ball of clay. Across 54 games in the DSL last year as a 17 year old, Soler put up a 104 wRC+ with some modest power for a youngster (.129 ISO). He drove in a RBI on a sacrifice on Monday, and homered the day before in the season opener.

Pablo Gomez is another 18-year old returnee to the DSL. Gomez is slight, listed at 5’11, 170lb, but hit over .300 in the league last year as a 17-year old. Other than Gomez and the aforementioned Soler, the DSL Cardinals Blue roster doesn’t feature many notable J2 names. The DSL Cardinals Red roster is similarly light, with the only real name of note being middle infielder Franklin Soto. Only the Blue squad will be in action later today.

~

Tuesday’s Probables

MEM: John Gant

SPR: Jake Woodford

PMB: Jake Walsh

PEO: TBD

DSL Blue: TBD