Here is what went down yesterday at Viva El Birdos:
- Dissecting Tommy Pham’s Slump: I break down a key factor behind Tommy Pham’s recent slump.
- The Cardinals Should Destroy High Fastballs: Bclemens6 analyzes the Cardinals’ performance against fastballs and what the offense needs to do to reignite.
- Daily Farm Report: Dakota Hudson, Adolis Garcia Power Memphis: Andrew St. John has the latest on a Memphis Redbirds victory and the results for three other minor league affiliates.
- Matt Carpenter wants a cheesesteak and a series win - A Hunt and Peck: Heather chronicles Matt Carpenter’s quest for an elusive Philly cheesesteak.
- Game 72 of 162: Cardinals at Phillies: The game thread for last night’s contest against the Phillies.
- Cards homer three times in wild game in 7-6 win over Phillies: stlcardsfan4 recaps the Cardinals’ dramatic 7-6 win in Philadelphia.
Today in Cardinals history: June 20, 1968
The Cubs lose to the Cardinals, 1 - 0, for their [fourth] shutout in a row. [Bob Gibson tossed a five-hit shutout for St. Louis, the sixth start of an eventual 20 game span in which he threw 19 complete games.] During the streak, Fergie Jenkins allows one run in 18 innings, and comes away with a loss and a no-decision, possibly making him rue the low offensive levels of the Year of the Pitcher.
-BR Bullpen’s baseball history calendar
Have a good one,
[Edit: An astute reader informed me that a previously published version of this article incorrectly stated that the Cubs’ loss on June 20, 1968 was their fifth consecutive shutout, when in actuality it was their fourth straight. I apologize for this error.]