So here is the deal: I missed the entire game because I was at a one year-old's birthday party. Don't ever tell me I'm a bad friend. The party started at 5pm CT and ended at 8:30 CT. It is just my luck that it would run literally through the entire game. Fortunately, I had five beers. So everything I know about this game, I read three minutes ago on mlb.com. But apparently it was a very good game! Here are some things that happened:
- Carlos Martinez threw 6 solid innings, giving up just four hits and two runs, while walking two and striking out eight. A typical 2017 El Gallo start, in other words.
- This was a ying yang sort of game. The Pirates scored first, with two runs in the second inning on a double by the pitcher, Chad Kuhl, and Adam Frazier. The Cardinals came right back in the bottom of the inning with two of their own on a Yadier Molina 2-run home run.
- Nothing happened in the third through sixth innings except that Carlos Martinez continued to be awesome.
- More scoring in the seventh. Frazier hit an inside the park home run, somehow? I don't....understand. Anyway, Matt Carpenter followed with a home run of his own in the bottom of the inning, though it was a regular old over-the-fencer. Still a tie game, 3-3.
- The bottom of the eighth inning arrived. Paul DeJong hit a ground rule double to lead off. He advanced to third on a Jose Martinez ground out, then he scored when Randal Grichuk grounded out. 4-3 Cardinals,
- Juan Nicasio pitched the top of the ninth. Not sure who this dude is, I vaguely remember hearing his name in some sort of transaction recently. Anyway, he gave up a lead off single, but then got everyone else out. Cardinals win 4-3! Yea!!
- THE CUBS LOST LIKE THE CORN COBS THAT THEY ARE. Three games out of first in the division, tied with Milwaukee; 2.5 games out of the wildcard, also tied with Milwaukee. As of publication time, Colorado is beating L.A. 5-4. (Dude, side note - what in the world is going in on L.A.? They've lost eight in a row!)
- Tomorrow, 1:15 CT, Ivan Nova v. Michael Wacha. Be there.