Here is what went down yesterday at Viva El Birdos:
- The Mike Leake Trade, Revisited: the red baron examines the deal that sent Mike Leake to the Mariners last month.
- Who will play center field in 2018?: Did you hear that the Cardinals have 8 million outfielders? John looks at what center field in particular could entail for St. Louis in the near future.
- Mike Matheny is too slow to replace starting pitchers: I analyzed Mike Matheny's "slower hook" with starters and crunched the numbers to see how many runs–and wins–this has cost the Cardinals in 2017.
- ¡Feliz Cumpleaños, Carlos Martínez! - A Hunt and Peck: For the first time since 2006 and the last time until 2023, Tsunamy's birthday fell squarely on Tsunamy Thursday.
- Cardinals complete sweep of Reds, behind 14 hits (and 7 walks) in 8-5 win: They. Just. Won't. Go. Away.
Today in Birdos history: September 22nd, 2011
Three errors over the final two innings loom large in an 8-6 loss to the Mets. Rafael Furcal misplays a potential double play ball to open the floodgates in a six-run ninth inning outburst. The loss puts St. Louis two games back of Atlanta in the Wild Card hunt with just six to play.
Have a good one,
P.S. A huge credit to the wonderful people at Baseball Reference who make our work here at Viva El Birdos so much easier, this weekly "Today in Birdos history" segment included.