With Jedd Gyorko out of commission for the time being with a hamstring strain, the Cardinals find themselves in need of a third baseman. Fortunately for the team, there are a few options. One they have explored already is sliding in utility infielder Greg Garcia to the cornerstone in a straight-up swap out while Gyorko is on the disabled list. What is important to note is that to replace Gyorko on the roster, the Cardinals called up first baseman Luke Voit. This is an interesting move in that it creates a second option for the Cardinals, one they tried with some success Tuesday night. With Luke Voit on the roster, the Cardinals are able to play him at first and slide Matt Carpenter over to third base. While this is something the team seemed reluctant to do in the past, as season draws closer to an end and the Division and Wild Card races get tighter, it appears that with the raised stakes, the Cardinals have also raised their willingness to move players around, at least until the rosters expand on Friday.
what else is going on in baseball...
- Astros to play at Rays' ballpark due to storm | MLB.com
- The Astros-Rangers series in Florida started with a moment of silence for Harvey victims | SBNation.com
- The Houston Astros, playing in Florida, hope to provide distraction in playing baseball | ESPN
- Here's everything athletes and teams are doing to help victims of Hurricane Harvey in Houston | SBNation.com
- Edwin Encarnacion lost his bat mid-swing but somehow made contact anyway | MLB.com
- Putting Kevin Pillar's latest highlight-reel grab in context of the season's best catches | MLB.com
- Arizona Fall League Roster Highlights | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Last Time the Royals Scored a Run Was Thursday | FanGraphs Baseball
- Giancarlo Stanton homers — again — and ties the all-time record for August home runs | SBNation.com
- Is the American League wild card race appalling or beautiful? | SBNation.com
- Chris Sale is the fastest pitcher to reach 1,500 career strikeouts | SBNation.com
- World Series matchups we most (and least) want to see | SweetSpot | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Hochman: The importance of Yadi's second-half surge | Benjamin Hochman | stltoday.com
- Watch: Lou Brock Breaks Ty Cobb's Stolen Base Record 40 Years Ago Today | 101Sports.com
- Here Are Five Delightful (and Unexpected) Cardinals 2017 Surprises | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the milwaukee brewers
the nl central
- BenFred: Cardinals dragged down by NL Central struggles | Ben Frederickson | stltoday.com
- Cubs' Anthony Rizzo leads offense vs. Pirates | MLB.com
- Inside the method to Joe Maddon's lineup madness | ESPN
Tweet or e-mail me links @lil_scooter93 or at lil_scooter93 AT msn DOT com!