As pointed out by Derrick Goold immediately following last night’s 4-3 loss to the Pirates, the Cardinals are now in fourth place and closer in the standings to the last place Reds than the not-so-great (yet), second place Cubs. (You can read Craig Edwards’s Pirates series preview here and the game recap here.) If the Cardinals were to somehow sink to the bottom and stay there for the remainder of the year, it would only be their second last-place finish since 1918. Not good.
I have no idea if this team should be buyers or sellers. Usually it’s that extra wild card that allows a team to cling to hope but this year it’s mostly due to a bad NL Central. In fact, put this team in last year’s division on this date and they’re about 15 games out of first. And that’s what’s so maddening. This division has been there all year to win and this could be a year squandered.
Here’s what you may have missed yesterday at VEB:
- John Fleming explained why Randal Grichuk could thrive as the Cardinals’ fourth outfielder.
- Tim Kurkjian stopped by to answer some questions about a variety of topics and explains why he thinks the Cardinals should be buyers. At least as it stands right now.
- Here’s what happened on the farm for the team’s affiliates on Thursday.
- This is cool news: The Cardinals will host their first Pride Night on August 25, 2017.
- If you’re young (I’m not) and live in St. Louis (I don’t), you should absolutely stop by the Hefty Flip Cup Challenge with former Cardinals Brad Thompson. It’s on June 24.
That should do it. Enjoy your Saturday, everyone.