- Luke Voit - 2-5, 2B, Batting AVG at a cool .350
- Paul DeJong - 0-4
- Carson Kelly - 1-3, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI, 1 BB
- Harrison Bader - 1-4, HR, 2 RBI
- Patrick Widom - 1-4
- Todd Cunningham - 4-4, 2 R, 1 RBI
- Chad Huffman - Pinch Hit 2-run HR in 9th inning
- Luke Weaver - (W) 5.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 4 K
The story of the night was Todd Cunningham going 4-4. I don’t care what level of ball you play at, it’s hard to hit pro pitching. Kudos to Todd for his achievement. Luke Voit is making the case to see some action at the big league level at some point. I doubt it will be before September, but you never know. Bader has really picked it up after a slow start. Should the St. Louis bullpen continue to falter, you have to wonder if Luke Weaver might get a shot before too long.
Springfield 3, Corpus Christi 2 (Game 1)
- Oscar Mercado - 2-4, 1 R
- Magneuris Sierra - 1-4
- Jose Adolis Garcia - 3-4, 1 RBI
- Anthony Garcia - 4-4, 2 R, HR, 1 RBI
- Alex Mejia - 3-4, 1 RBI
- Austin Gomber - 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 4 K
- Corey Baker - 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K
Another 4-4 guy in the system today. Who would’ve guessed? Springfield pounded out 15 hits in this game...15!
Springfield 2, Corpus Christi 5 (Game 2)
- Magneuris Sierra - 1-3
- Jose Adolis Garcia - 1-3, 2B
- Oscar Mercado - 1-1, PH Solo HR in 7th
- Alex Mejia - 1-3, Solo HR
- Blake McKnight - (L) 3.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 BB, 0 K
I’d love to know what changes Oscar Mercado has made to get off to the start that he has. Ironically, he has always been known for his glove at SS. Since he’s moved to the outfield, his offense has taken off.
- Tommy Edman - 2-3 , 3 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K
- Vince Jackson - 1-3, 2B, 2 BB, 2 K
- Juan Yepez - 1-5, 1 K
- Dylan Carlson - 0-3, 2 R, 2 BB
- Jose Martinez - 4-4, 2 R
- John Kilichowski - 4.1 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 BB, 4 K
- Yeison Medina - (W) 2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K
Seriously, has there been another day in the system where there were three guys who went 4-4? That’s insane! As a side note, I had Yepez on my rookie ball team when I was interning for the Braves. It’s cool to see him in Cardinal red, but I would not expect much. He was a big international signing by the previous regime in Atlanta and seemed to fall out of favor when the new regime took over. He is mostly limited to 1st base although he can play 3rd in a pinch. Game power is not what you would expect of a first base prospect. He’s not a great runner and I question his overall conditioning. Reality is he’s probably not going to amount to much. Essentially we dumped Matt Adams to clear roster space.
Palm Beach was postponed.
Memphis: Marco Gonzales
Springfield: Dakota Hudson
Palm Beach: Derian Gonzalez, TBD
Peoria: Bryan Dobzanski