Perhaps by the time this post goes live this question will already by answered, but the rumors are the St. Louis Cardinals and Yadier Molina are nearing agreement to extend the long-time Birdo backstop, making him very likely to retire a Cardinal. Per Jon Heyman of Fanrag Sports:
The St. Louis Cardinals and revered catcher Yadier Molina are making major progress toward a possible contract extension... While the current terms being discussed are unknown, Molina was originally seeking a four-year extension, while the team countered with a two-year offer. A deal now appears to be getting close between the two sides.
This news comes days after Molina stated he would test free agency if he and club were unable to reach an agreement before the start of the season on Sunday. Jeff Todd of MLB Trade Rumors speculated that the agreement could be around three years and Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reported that Cardinals chairman Bill DeWitt had this to say about the potential contract:
"We’d love to have him stay... He would certainly be one of the highest-paid catchers. Part of that is (annual average value), part of it is length. That all factors into what he ends up looking for and what makes sense for the club."
A deal certainly appears to be very close to finalized.
Contract talks continue with Molina; fans at game chant 'Four more years!' | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
what else is going on in baseball...
- Ranking top 5 pitching rotations in MLB | MLB.com
- Nationals Bryce Harper up to 8 spring homers | MLB.com
- Peter Bourjos traded from White Sox to Rays | MLB.com
- MLB.com takes early look at Trade Deadline | MLB.com
- 'This Season on MLB' is the 2017 hype video you've been waiting for | MLB.com
- Here are the nine most must-watch Major Leaguers of 2017 | MLB.com
- Mikie Mahtook chasing a foul ball, missing it and tumbling into the bullpen is a metaphor for life | MLB.com
- About the Back End of the Yankees’ Rotation | FanGraphs Baseball
- 2017 Positional Power Rankings: Bullpen (#16-30) | FanGraphs Baseball
- 2017 Positional Power Rankings: Starting Rotation (#1-15) | FanGraphs Baseball
- Shelby Miller is Trying to Salvage the Shelby Miller Trade | FanGraphs Baseball
- Why your team won't win the World Series | ESPN
- MLB - Fantasy baseball 101 facts you need to know for 2017 | ESPN
- MLB: How to build a World Series contender in 5 easy steps | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Ortiz: Cardinals fans have reason to be optimistic | Jesus Ortiz | stltoday.com
- The Cardinals and Kolten Wong: Anybody Have a Number For a Good Divorce Attorney? | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- David Ross went full '90s nostalgia for his second 'Dancing with the Stars' routine | MLB.com
- Do the Cubs Have A Soft Spot? If So, It's Potentially the Starting Pitching | 101Sports.com
- Effectively Wild Episode 1037: Season Preview Series: Pirates and Yankees | FanGraphs Baseball