Today I’ve been told is St. Patrick’s Day so let’s skip straight ahead to the Cardinals Irish-themed facts.
Fact #1: There have been four players suit up for the Cardinals who were actually born in Ireland. They are as follows:
- Mike O’Neill (Cardinal from 1901-1904)
- Patsy Donovan (Cardinal from 1901-1903)
- Paddy O’Connor (Cardinal in 1914)
- Jack O’Neill (Cardinal from 1902-1903)
I found this information on Baseball-Reference but I’m currently looking for a second source to confirm because they sound like Italian names to me. Moving on.
Fact #2: Former NL MVP Hank Sauer spent one season in St. Louis (1956), making him the only player born on March 17 to wear the Cardinals uniform.
That’s it, those are all the facts. Here’s what you may have missed yesterday at VEB:
- Joe Schwarz and Ben Markham both wrote about why Miguel Socolovich should be on the 25-man roster when the season begins in April. You can find those articles here and here.
- I tried to figure out how many plate appearances Matt Adams is likely to get this season.
- Read about Delvin Perez, the Cardinals’ most recent 1st Round draft pick and what makes him so (potentially) great.
- And here are the details for Carlos Martinez’s bowling fundraiser (taking place on June 11) for his charity Tsunami Waves.
Have a fun, safe St. Patrick’s Day weekend, everyone.