Double-A: NW Arkansas 9 -- Springfield 6
- Vaughn Bryan, LF, 1-for-5, 3B, K, R, 2 RBI, Throwing Error, Outfield Assist
- Aldedmys Diaz, SS, 0-for-4, RBI
- Harrison Bader, 2-for-5, K, R
- Luke Voit, 1B, 3-for-5, 2B, R, RBI
- Bruce Caldwell, DH, 1-for-3, HR, BB, K, R, RBI
- Paul DeJong, 3B, 1-for-4, 2 Ks
A pretty good night for the Springfield Cardinals offense, as they open the playoffs at home. However, the pitching did not do as much to help the cause, with Daniel Poncedelon coughing up four runs when he faced five batters in the third without recording an out. The Cardinals tied it in the 5th, but Robby Rowland and Ronnie Shaban gave up home runs in the 6th and 8th respectively to put the Springfield squad behind for good.
Class A: Peoria 0 -- Clinton 4
- Magneuris Sierra, CF, 0-for-4, 4 Ks
- Eliezer Alvarez, 2B, 0-for-3, BB, K
- Brian O'Keefe, C, 0-for-3, BB, 3 Ks
- Chris Chinea, 1B, 1-for-3
- Jake Woodford, 5 IP, 5 Ks, BB, 6 Hits, 2 ER
This was a rough night for the Chiefs, as they faced Nick Neidert, Seattle's 2nd round pick in 2015. He struck out nine in seven innings, and gave up just three hits and one walk. For the game, the Chiefs struck out 12 times, and Sierra acquired the dreaded golden sombrero (4 Ks). The Chiefs' pitchers got their share of strike outs too, tallying 10 Ks against two walks. Unfortunately, BABIP was less kind to them, as they gave up 13 hits, and two errors by the defense did not help.
Class A Short-Season: State College 3 -- Staten Island 0
- Tommy Edman, SS, 1-for-4, 2B
- Andy Young, 2B, 1-for-4, HR, R, 2 RBI
- Vince Jackson, CF, 2-for-4, K, R
- Danny Hudzina, 3B, 0-for-3, 2 Ks
- Bryan Dobzanski, 6 IP, 2 Ks, 4 BBs, 4 Hits, 0 Runs
- Jordan DeLorenzo, 3 IP, 6 Ks, H, 0 Runs
DeLorenzo had the best performance in this one, with three one-hit innings. He finished strong too, getting the last three batters of the game to strike out swinging, emphatically shutting the door.
Rookie Gulf Coast League: GCL Cardinals 4 -- GCL Phillies 2
- Delvin Perez, SS, 0-for-5, K
- Edwin Figuieroa, 2B, 1-for-3, R
- Dennis Ortega, C, 1-for-4, K
- Dylan Carlson, LF, 0-for-3, BB, 2 Runs, RBI
- Wadye Ynfante, CF, 1-for-4, RBI, SB, E
- Juan Alvarez, 5 1/3 IP, 5 Ks, 0 BBs, 6 Hits, ER, 2 Runs
- Colton Thomson, 3 2/3 IP, 3 Ks, H, 0 Runs
This was the rubber match in a 3-game series for the GCL championships. The GCL Cards fell behind early after a 2-run first inning for the GCL Phillies, but Alvarez and Thomson managed to strike out eight, and gave out zero free passes. Behind that pitching, the team was able to win the Gulf Coast League Championship!
Rookie: Burlington 6 -- Johnson City 11
- J.R. Davis, 2B, 3-for-5, 2B, K, R, RBI
- Matt Fiedler, RF, 3-for-5, K, 2 Runs, RBI, SB
- Andrew Knizner, C, 3-for-5, R, RBI, Passed Ball
- Bryce Denton, 3B, 2-for-4, 2B, HR, 2 Runs, 5 RBI, 2 Errors
- Shane Billings, CF, 1-for-2, 2 BBs, 2 Runs, SB
Bryce Denton had a lopsided game, with two extra-base hits netting him five RBIs, but also a fielding and throwing error leading to a couple unearned runs for the Johnson City pitching staff.
This was the 2nd game in the three-game series, and the Cardinals' 2nd win, which gives them the Appalachian League Championship!
Springfield Cardinals: J.C. Sulbaran
The Cardinals are down 0--1 in a five-game series for the "Divisional Playoffs", the winner of which will play for the Texas League Championship.
Peoria Chiefs: TBD
Peoria is also down 0--1 in their series, a three-game series to advance to the Division Finals/League Semifinals.
State College Spikes: Jordan Hicks
The Spikes look to clinch the Semifinal Championship Series for the NY-Penn Leauge. If they grab their 2nd win of the three-game series today, they'll advance to the League Championship.