Double-A: Springfield 1 -- Northwest Arkansas 6
- Anthony Garcia, LF, 0-for-4, K
- Luke Voit, 1B, 2-for-3, HR, R, RBI
- Paul DeJong, DH, 0-for-3, BB, K
- Luke Weaver, 5 1/3 IP, 8 Ks, BB, 9 Hits, 4 ER, 5 Runs
A bad night all around for the Springfield squad, as Luke Weaver posted a rare bad outing -- though his peripherals remained excellent -- and the offense managed just four hits and two walks. So far Weaver has posted a K:BB ratio of 57:7, which comes out to just north of eight strikeouts per walk. Put another way, he has sent over 1/4 of opposing batsmen to the bench without them putting the ball in play, and has allowed less than 1/20 of them to reach first base without putting the ball in play. Yesterday's game actually brings his ERA up significantly to 1.48 (from 0.83 entering the game), and his FIP, via fangraphs, is 1.60 so he's not getting a ton of BABIP luck (his BABIP is actually pretty high at .338). He has however allowed just a single HR so far this season, which might be a result of him being miles ahead of his competition or could be HR/FB luck. Either way, he looks excellent.
Class A Advanced: Clearwater 4 -- Palm Beach 0
- Darren Seferina, 2B, 0-for-4, 3 Ks, 2 Errors
- Oscar Mercado, SS, 0-for-3
- Cole Lankford, DH, 1-for-3
- Matt Pearce, 8 IP, 3 Ks, 0 BBs, 7 Hits, 2 Runs, 0 ER
Another bad night offensively for a Cardinals affiliate. Lankford's hit was the only one, as the PB Cardinals got just one runner into scoring position all night.
Pearce, a 13th round pick in 2014, had a very solid outing. In a bit over 100 IP so far this season he's had just 60 Ks, but also just 14 BBs. He's a guy that keeps his walk rate low and lets hitters put it in play, relying on his defense to convert outs. That didn't work out perfectly this time, thanks to Seferina's fielding and throwing errors, though two runs wouldn't have been such an issue if the offense had been able to hit Elniery Garcia, and if Cody Schumacher hand't given up two more runs in the ninth.
Class A Short-Season: State College 0 -- Connecticut 4
- Tommy Edman, SS, 1-for-4, SB
- Dylan Tice, 2B, 2-for-4
- Ricardo Bautista, RF, 2-for-3
- Danny Hudzina, 3B, 1-for-2, BB
- Dewin Perez, 5 IP, 5 Ks, 2 BBs, 4 Hits, HR, 4 ER
Tommy Edman wasn't the headline-grabbing 1st round SS the Cardinals drafted this June, but he has hit really well so far. in 21 games he has a batting average just over .300, and OBP well over .400, and a solid mid-.400s SLG. He hasn't shown much power, but he has walked nearly twice as much as he's struck out (17 walks to 9 strikeouts).
Rookie DSL: DSL Cardinals 5 -- DSL Angels 4
- Wadye Infante, CF, 1-for-4, HR, R, RBI
- Elehuris Montero, 3B, 1-for-4
- Brian Sanchez, RF, 1-for-2, 2 BBs
- Johan Oviedo, 3 IP, 5 Ks, BB, 2 Hits, ER
Oviedo is one of the Cardinals' big international signings this year, coming out of Cuba. This was his first start as a professional within the Cardinals farm system. For more on him, check out the red baron's post about the international signings from the beginning of this month.
Rookie GCL: GCL Astros 2 -- GCL Cardinals 5
- Delvin Perez, SS, 0-for-4, Fielding Error
- Dylan Carlson, CF, 1-for-3, BB, K
- Hunter Newman, 1B, 3-for-4, 3B, 3 RBI, Throwing Error
- Brady Whalen, DH, 0-for-4
- Edwin Figuera, LF, 2-for-3, CS
- Arturo Reyes, 3 IP, 3 Ks, 0 BBs, Hit, 0 Runs
Delvin Perez is the aforementioned 1st round headline-grabbing SS. He's a bit younger than Edman at 17, so he's starting a bit lower. He has played pretty well so far, with a .339 batting average supporting a low walk rate and missing power. He has racked up some errors in just 16 games too; that fielding error is his 8th error on the season. It's very very ridiculously early though.
Rookie Level: Johnson City 5 -- Burlington 2
- J.R. Davis, 2B, 2-for-5, 3B, K, RBI
- Bryce Denton, 3B, 1-for-3, 2B, BB
- Andrew Knizner, DH, 0-for-2, BB, R
- Joshua Lopez, C, 2-for-4, K, HR, R, 2 RBI
- Matt Fiedler, LF, 0-for-3, BB, K, R
- Shane Billings, CF, 2-for-4, 2B, R, SB
- Ramon Santos, 3 IP in Relief, 6 Ks, 0 BBs, Hit, ER, HR
Memphis: Corey Baker
Springfield: Trey Nielsen
Palm Beach: Ian McKinney
Peoria: Game 1 -- Sandy Alcantara, Game 2 -- Jake Woodford
State College: John Kilichowski
DSL Cardinals: TBA
Johnson City: Jordan Hicks