With the imminent return of Jhonny Peralta, the Cardinals find themselves with a somewhat unusual bit of positional flexibility in the infield. Who will be sent down when Peralta returns remains to be seen, though a conclusion will be reached soon, what players play where is a question which many different possible answers. One of those answers looks like it will put Matt Carpenter back at second base, a position he played regularly in 2013, and Peralta will move to third. Per Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch:
Matt Carpenter, who was a third baseman before he was a second baseman and then moved back to third, is expected to be playing at second Tuesday night in Cincinnati when the Cardinals open a three-game series. This is pending the potential activation of shortstop Jhonny Peralta, who is expected to come back from a minor league rehabilitation assignment as the Cardinals' third baseman.
With rookie shortstop Aledmys Diaz always a threat with the bat and improving with the glove, the club seems disinclined to disrupt him defensively. So Carpenter, for the moment at least, is headed to second base, where he led the National League in double plays participated in by a middle infielder in 2013.
The Cardinals have lots of options with the return of Peralta, thanks in large part to the positional flexibility of Carpenter, who can also play first base, and should be able to provide a tough lineup no matter who the opposition puts on the mound.
what else is going on in baseball...
- Mariners react to historic comeback vs. Padres | mariners.com
- The Mariners' 14-run comeback over the Padres was everything holy and unholy about baseball | SBNation.com
- Must C: Bumgarner homers again | MLB.com
- Vote in the final of our MLB best jersey bracket. | Sports on Earth
- Adam Duvall is a force in his first full MLB season. | Sports on Earth
- Bartolo Colon tried to break reality as he blasted a 108-mph laser beam for a single | MLB.com
- Watch Muhammad Ali's legendary appearance at the 2004 All-Star Game | MLB.com
- The Astros pranked Tyler White by parking his car in center field during batting practice | MLB.com
- Marc Rzepczynski could not field this grounder, but he did execute a great breakdance move | MLB.com
- The Dodgers played home-plate ump Joe West's music for the first trip through their batting order | MLB.com
- Madison Bumgarner wants to be in the T-Mobile Home Run Derby, proves it with BP session | MLB.com
- Forrest 'Lefty' Brewer threw a no-hitter exactly six years before parachuting into Normandy | MLB.com
- NERD Game Scores for Monday, June 06, 2016 | FanGraphs Baseball
- Evaluating the Prospect in the James Shields Trade | FanGraphs Baseball
- With James Shields, White Sox first address non-foremost need | South Side Sox
- The Best of FanGraphs: May 31-June 3, 2016 | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Coming Shortage of Available Outfielders | FanGraphs Baseball
- A Phillies fan threw a beer bottle at Ryan Howard on Saturday | SBNation.com
- Stan Lee threw out the 1st pitch at a Rangers game and his interview is a delight | SBNation.com
- Yankees trade rumors: Andrew Miller drawing interest from the Giants | Pinstripe Alley
- Carl Crawford designated for assignment, Dodgers recall Austin Barnes | True Blue LA
- MLB Draft 2016: Mock draft has A.J. Puk first overall to the Phillies | Beyond the Box Score
- Throwing hard but not well: what makes velocity useful? | Beyond the Box Score
- Tim Lincecum determined to be a major league starter again | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Cards in the Community | MLB
- Molina, Posey worthy to start All-Star Game | MLB.com
- Matt Carpenter helps the St. Louis Cardinals grind out a tough series | St Louis Cardinals| ESPN
- Peralta to third, Carpenter to second when Cards resume | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Hochman: It's only June, but Cards needed their showman | Benjamin Hochman | stltoday.com
- Flores Q-&-A: Leading Cards draft is 'competition, real stakes' | Derrick Goold: Bird Land | stltoday.com
- A Third Into Their Season, Here are 10 Questions Facing the Cardinals | 101Sports.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Anthony Rizzo gets into a friendly shoving match after being hit by Welington Castillo's throw | MLB.com
- Travis Wood credits 2016 success to a lucky penguin given to him by his son | MLB.com
- The Cubs' record pace and some surprising reasons for it | Chicago Cubs Blog | ESPN