Since the end of the season, the Cardinals have had a few players declare free agency, added a handful of prospects to protect them in the Rule Five draft, released a few players, trade one, non-tendered one, and signed a few free agents. As a result, it is probably time to update the Cardinals 40-man roster.
Before we do that, let’s take a quick look at where the team was at this time last season. After the Cardinals signed Mike Leake a year ago, the 40-man roster looked like this:
The Cardinals had yet to sign Seung-Hwan Oh at this point, but this is pretty close to where the Cardinals were entering Spring Training. Here is the same chart above, but changed to show who is still remaining, and who has left the team.
Remember Dean Anna? How about Jayson Aquino? Charlie Tilson was sent to the WHite Sox for Zach Duke, Jaime Garcia was a part of the Cardinals main trade this offseason. Brayan Pena was let go with another $2.5 million owed to him while Mike Ohlman and Mitch Harris were just let go. Dean Kiekhefer and Tim Cooney were put on waivers and claimed by other teams. The options on Matt Holliday and Jordan Walden were not exercised, the Cardinals opted not to make a qualifying offer for Brandon Moss, and they chose not tender a contract to Seth Maness, who was eligible for arbitration.
That leaves 25 members of the roster still present, along with the additions so far this winter. Here is where the roster currently stands.
- Seung-Hwan Oh was added a little less than a year ago.
- Zack Duke came over in a midseason trade.
- Alex Reyes and Luke Weaver were called up during the season to give the Cardinals a boost.
- Mike Mayers was put on the roster to start before Luke Weaver and Alex Reyes.
- Carson Kelly was added to the roster to get a callup at the end of the season.
- Jose Martinez was part of a minor trade with the Kansas City Royals during the season.
- Eliezer Alvarez, Edmundo Sosa, Breyvic Valera, Magneuris Sierra, and Rowan Wick were all added to ensure they were not selected in the Rule Five Draft.
- John Gant came over in the Jaime Garcia trade.
- Brett Cecil and Dexter Fowler were added in free agency.
And here we are at 40 players on the 40-man roster. Enjoy the weekend.