Several weeks ago I asked for your help to determine the best Cardinals uniform ever. After four rounds of grueling head-to-head matchups, we finally have a winner. Last week, 1940 squared off against 1969 and taking the title, leading 127 votes to 81 was....
1969! For a uniform often dubbed the best uniform the Cardinals have worn, this uni took a surprisingly low four-seed in the initial seeding portion of the bracket. Although its road to victory was a little tougher this way, the 1969 uni, a true classic modeled by Steve Carlton above, blew past every competitor with ease. It is easy to see why: the uniform is just lovely with the iconic Birds on the Bat, the rugged wool button-up, and the expert chain-stitching the team still employs to this day. Congrats to 1969 on a truly des-
Wait, does anyone else hear that?
What is that? Is that? It is! IT’S THE SATURDAY HOME ALTERNATE JERSEY’S MUSIC!
A few of you were (read: mister_manager) quite disappointed in the exclusion of the Cardinals newest alternate uni which debuted in 2013. I said I had a plan, and I did. See, the idea is to determine the best uniform defined mostly by era, and it didn’t seem to be within the spirit of the contest to include alternate uniforms. But, now that we have determined a champion of the regular uniforms, we can determine a champion of champions.
So which uni is better? Vote below!
what else is going on in baseball...
- Esurance MLB Awards announced | MLB.com
- Mike Trout wins Best Major Leaguer MLB Award | MLB.com
- Mike Trout's run over the past five years is incredible. | Sports on Earth
- Andrew Cashner signs with Rangers | MLB.com
- T.J. Rivera and some Mets fans took the 'Mannequin Challenge' to a whole new level | MLB.com
- Carlos Correa held a mattress over his head during a Houston charity event #MannequinChallenge | MLB.com
- 5 reasons Dexter Fowler drawing high interest | MLB.com
- Next tier relievers includes Uehara, Nicasio | MLB.com
- Young players may be traded this offseason | MLB.com
- Bryce Harper presented at the American Music Awards in an extremely dapper suit | MLB.com
- Bryce Harper’s night at the American Music Awards | Federal Baseball
- 5 reasons Aroldis Chapman is drawing interest | MLB.com
- Should Teams Believe in the More Selective Cespedes? | FanGraphs Baseball
- Take one last walk through the year that was with the very best photos from the 2016 season | MLB.com
- Watch every single inside-the-park home run from the 2016 season | MLB.com
- At age 37, Johan Santana is attempting another MLB comeback | MLB.com
- The Season’s Worst Home Run | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Best of FanGraphs: November 14-18, 2016 | FanGraphs Baseball
- Dexter Fowler Should Age Well, Regardless of the Defense | FanGraphs Baseball
- The Arizona Fall League has finished its season, and so has Tim Tebow | SBNation.com
- The Josh Reddick signing is an early contestant for the best move of the offseason | Beyond the Box Score
- MLBPA ‘deeply skeptical’ of international draft | SBNation.com
- Why MLB's 2016 postseason was a game-changer | ESPN
- A sensation in Korea, can Eric Thames make it back to MLB? | ESPN
- Chris Sale for Yasiel Puig? A proposed trade for every MLB team | SweetSpot | ESPN
what the cardinals are up to...
- Report: Cardinals sign reliever Brett Cecil | MLB.com
- There’s Nothing Too Weird About Brett Cecil’s New Contract | FanGraphs Baseball
- The St. Louis Cardinals and former Toronto Blue Jays reliever Brett Cecil agree to four-year deal | ESPN
- St. Louis Cardinals place big bet on Brett Cecil to extend their pen | SweetSpot | ESPN
- Cardinals Wisely Invest Big Dollars on LH Reliever Brett Cecil to Fill An Urgent Need | 101Sports.com
- Cardinals sign Brett Cecil | Viva El Birdos
- St. Louis Cardinals add four to roster to protect from Rule 5 draft | ESPN
- Why today's the day to be scouting in Musial's hometown | Derrick Goold: Bird Land | stltoday.com
- Ortiz: Mozeliak, DeWitt must step up to fortify Cardinals | Jesus Ortiz | stltoday.com
- Hochman: On Stan Musial's birthday, a St. Louisan remembers The Man | Benjamin Hochman | stltoday.com
- Cardinals add depth with Toronto lefty Cecil | Cardinal Beat | stltoday.com
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Cubs' Ian Happ homers twice in AFL title game | MLB.com
- Well, here's Anthony Rizzo playing Coldplay's 'The Scientist' on the piano | MLB.com
- Adam Walker Will Look Familiar to Milwaukee | FanGraphs Baseball
- Pirates, Mariners discussed Andrew McCutchen trade | Bucs Dugout