On October 5, 2012 the St. Louis Cardinals played the Atlanta Braves in the first ever National League Wild Card Play-In game. The Cardinals won the game by a score of six runs to three thanks to an uncharacteristic error by the Braves future Hall of Famer Chipper Jones, a timely double by Allen Craig, and a home run from Matt Holliday to all but ice the game.
But that is not what people remember from that game. What people remember is this:
Of course, this took the Braves from a bases loaded-one out situation to runners on second and third and two outs, a big swing in run expectancy. Trash was thrown, protests were filed, yadda yadda yadda, this is not the key thing to take away from this moment.
The criticism for Matt Holliday over the years has been partially fueled by the completely subjective and unsubstantiated opinion that he has never had A Moment™, meaning he has never come up clutch in a career defining way for the Cardinals. This is not really true, of course, when we truly reflect back on Holliday’s time wearing the Birds on the Bat, and this scribe would argue the first true Moment™ for Holliday occurred in the interview following this game.
possibly Jim Hayesactually Tom Verducci) to Holliday: Did you ever fear for your safety out there [referring to the trash being thrown onto the field]?
Holliday: Nah, a bottle wouldn’t hurt me.
In what has been an excellent career, that quote is among the best things Matt Holliday has ever done. I am unable to find the actual video of the exchange, so if you have it, please feel free to share it with the group. For now, it only lives on my heart and soul.
UPDATE: Michael_68_1999 being the kind man he is has posted the video online for the world! And here it is:
He has included the link in the comments, too! Give him all the recs!
what else is going on in baseball...
- Buck Showalter and the Zach Britton Test | FanGraphs Baseball
- Orioles don't use Zach Britton against Toronto | orioles.com
- Where was Zach Britton in the 11th inning? | Baltimore Orioles | ESPN
- Zach Britton Watched the Orioles Lose | FanGraphs Baseball
- Buck Showalter cost the Orioles their season, but at least the conventional wisdom will change | SBNation.com
- Orioles' Kim nearly hit by thrown can | orioles.com
- Bad human being throws drink at Orioles outfielder during AL Wild Card Game | SBNation.com
- Blue Jays beat Orioles in AL Wild Card Game | MLB.com
- Encarnacion hits walk-off homer vs. Rangers | bluejays.com
- Blue Jays ready for ALDS rematch with Texas | bluejays.com
- Tale of the Tape: Bumgarner vs. Syndergaard | sfgiants.com
- It’s time for Mets vs. Giants, Syndergaard vs. Bumgarner | SBNation.com
- Breaking down Giants, Mets in Wild Card Game | MLB.com
- Tom Brady wished David Ortiz good luck on the eve of his final postseason | MLB.com
- Pick Your Playoff Bandwagon | FanGraphs Baseball
- 2016 MLB playoffs -- Build your own October dream team | ESPN
- The 2016 National League Gold Gloves, by the Numbers | FanGraphs Baseball
- La Russa opens up to Buck in candid TV interview | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
what the cardinals are up to...
- Hochman: Just how good was Randal Grichuk's surge? | Benjamin Hochman | stltoday.com
- 'Future Cardinal great' Diaz joins select company | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Reyes shined for Cardinals in rookie season | St. Louis Cardinals | stltoday.com
- Upon further review: Cardinals pitching wasn't as bad as it seemed in 2016 | 101Sports.com
- Cardinals expected to sign extension with Carlos Martinez | Viva El Birdos
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central