While the Indians, Blue Jays, Cubs, and Dodgers are locked in contest for a World Series title, the Cardinals are involved in a much more important tournament.
Two weeks ago, I began a tournament where people vote on which Cardinal player they thought has the best walk up song. The field contained 24 players, and the updated bracket has narrowed the list down to eight. Here's the results from Round 2:
- Tommy Pham defeated Carlos Martinez 4 votes to 0.
- Randal Grichuk defeated Jeremy Hazelbaker 6 votes to 0.
- Matt Carpenter defeated Alberto Rosario 3 votes to 2.
- Adam Wainwright defeated Jedd Gyorko 4 votes to 0.
- Trevor Rosenthal defeated Matt Holliday 3 votes to 1.
- Michael Wacha defeated Jaime Garcia 2 votes to 1.
- Jonathan Broxton defeated Mike Leake 4 votes to 1.
- Stephen Piscotty defeated Greg Garcia 3 votes to 2.
- Tommy Pham and Randal Grichuk are the two highest polling playerd–and they square off with a Final 4 spot on the line.
- Matt Carpenter has eeked out two tight wins to get this far, but now he faces his first country song in Adam Wainwright's Song of the South.
- Everybody's favorite relievers, Rosenthal and Broxton, would meet in the Final 4 if they can knock off Wacha and Piscotty.
Below are a list of the Round 2 matchups with links to the songs and polls.
Randal Grichuk vs. Tommy Pham
Grichuk: Here Comes The Boom by Nelly
Adam Wainwright vs. Matt Carpenter
Wainwright: Song of the South by Alabama
Carpenter: Long Hot Summer Day by Turnpike Troubadours
Michael Wacha vs. Trevor Rosenthal
Rosenthal: 300 Violin Orchestra by Jorge Quintero
Stephen Piscotty vs. Jonathan Broxton
Piscotty: Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins
Broxton: Iron Man by Black Sabbath
Thank you for reading. If you want more of my shenanigans you can follow me on Twitter @Tyler_Opinion