|Tommy La Stella||4|
Oh cool, the Cardinals ended up winning that.
The top of the first was all like:
Then the bottom of the eighth was all like:
But the middle innings were all like:
Things were looking up at first as Martinez began the game with two strikeouts, but then everything changed when the fire nation attacked.
The past week had been a rough one for El Birdos and this game seemed to be continuing that disturbing trend of allowing gobs of runs. With two outs, the Cubs struck first with a single and back-to-back doubles to give the Cubs a quick two-nothing lead (ooooh, don't worry I am gonna get to the weirdness of what happened). The Cardinals got a run back in the bottom of the frame after Carpenter tripled and scored on a Heyward RBI single, but then the Cubs got that run back in the next frame with an RBI single from Fowler scoring... Jon Lester. Seriously? *smacks forehead, rubs eye, pinches bridge of nose, continues typing
So anyway not much proceeded after that. Many Cardinals were sat down by Lester, many Cubs seemed to reach base in a medley of frustrating ways, but were left stranded. Things were beginning to look bleak for our heros until...
the late inning comeback.
To be honest, bad week or not, it is more surprising if the Cardinals do not have a late inning push. It is just their thing. With their late-inning powers giving them renewed strength, the team went to work on the Cub bullpen. The eighth inning began harmless enough with a quick fly-out by Moss. Reynolds got things going soon after though, achieving the second best of his three outcomes. OBP monster Greg Garcia hit a pinch hit single to put runners at first and second. Carpenter singled to score Pete Kozma, who was pinch running for Reynolds, and then right-handed Matt Carpenter, Piscotty, doubled the bases clear, scoring Peter Bourjos, who was pinch running for Garcia, and Carpenter, who was just running for himself. Trevor Rosenthal came in to pitch the top of the ninth, getting three quick uneventful outs and that is all she wrote.
Just kidding, I have more to write.
- Okay, what the actual *coughs* ahem... What in the world is going on with starting Grichuk when he physically cannot throw a ball? I mean.... I have no words. ME. NO WORDS. A centerfielder that cannot throw is a better option than...?
- I mean, I am understanding this correctly, right? He cannot throw?
- He seriously cannot throw.
- "When teams see that, they're going to run," Heyward said." I haven't done that before. I don't think I've seen it the whole time playing baseball -- from five until now."
- To paraphrase for Jason Heyward: This is the dumbest f*****g thing I have ever heard of in my entire life.
- To quote myself: This is the dumbest f*****g I have ever heard of in my entire life, and I have heard of this
You know you want to try Hot Cheeto tequila. ADMIT IT. pic.twitter.com/Tc83x2zhjx— BuzzFeed Food (@BuzzFeedFood) July 23, 2015
Your ideas are officially worse than Buzzfeed's, Mike. Let that sink in.
LIL SCOOTER'S LIL PLAYER OF THE GAME
PISCOTTY! .428 WPA for the win! And check out this nifty WPA graph:
The Cardinals take on the Reds tomorrow at 6:10pm as Jaime Garcia squares off against John Lamb.