The St. Louis Cardinals promoted Stephen Piscotty, the organization's top hitting prospect, to the majors on Tuesday. The promotion of Piscotty required a roster shuffle. Because the decision to promote Piscotty was not prompted by a player landing on the disabled list with an injury, the Cardinals had to clear a spot on the 25-man active roster as well as one on the 40-man roster.
Entering Tuesday, Piscotty was not on the Cardinals' 40-man roster. In order to be on a major-league team's 25-man active roster, a player has to be on the 40-man. The St. Louis 40-man had its full allotment of 40 players, so the Cardinals had to open up a roster spot for Piscotty to fill.
The Cardinals could have created roster space for Piscotty with one move: designating a player on the 40-man and 25-man for assignment. Instead, St. Louis made two:
- Monday: Optioned Tommy Pham to Triple-A but did not DFA him—meaning Pham did not lose his 40-man roster spot and the St. Louis 40-man was still full. This created a spot on the 25-man St. Louis roster for Piscotty.
- Tuesday: Designated Ty Kelly, an infielder/outfielder with Memphis and friend of the VEB Podcast, for assignment, which opened up a spot on the 40-man for Piscotty.
- Reliever Mitch Harris is with Memphis on a rehab stint that commenced on Tuesday. Whether Harris will leave Memphis once the Cardinals activate him from the major-league DL remains to be seen. It would not be terribly surprising for the Cards to activate the righty and immediately option him to Memphis.
- Hopping set-up man Jordan Walden begins a rehab stint with Double-A Springfield today.
- Jaime Garcia is slated to make a rehab start with Low-A Peoria on Thursday.
SBN and FanDuel have entered into an exclusive partnership for the 2015 season regarding daily fantasy baseball. Jordan Zimmermann against the lowly Mets lineup seems too easy and pricy. Jake Odorizzi against the Phillies is a nice alternative. Play FanDuel here.