In 1955 Ken Boyer played his first full season with the Cardinals hitting for a wRC+ of 91 and accumulating .9 wins above replacement in 147 games. That mediocre first season was no indication of what was yet to come, however. Boyer would go on to play ten more seasons with the Birds on the Bat, totaling 49.7 WAR during that time frame, his lowest WAR total in 1957 with 2.3, when he volunteered to play center to allow rookie Eddie Kasko to play his natural position of third base, his highest in 1961 with 7.1. Boyer's eleven years in the organization saw him average 4.6 WAR per season as a two-way player with excellent offense and defense, with five Gold Gloves to his name. In 1964, he helped lead the Cardinals to their first World Series title in eighteen years, hitting a grand slam off Yankee pitcher Al Downing to power the Cardinals to a 4-3 victory in game four. That same year he won the MVP award. Many consider Boyer the best third baseman in Cardinals history.
On April 29, 1978 Gussie Busch fired current manager Vernon Rapp and announced Boyer would take over as manager of the Cardinals. After a fifth place finish in that 1978 campaign, a third place finish 1979, and a slow start to 1980, Busch decided to make another managerial move. On June 8, 1980 after dropping the first game of a double header against the Montreal Expos, Boyer was fired and replaced with Whitey Herzog. Boyer's final managerial record with the Redbirds was 166-190. He remained a part of the Cardinals organization as a scout until 1981 when he was diagnosed with lung cancer. He died a year later on September 7, 1982 at the age of 52.
Read his interesting SABR biography here.
what else is going on in baseball...
- Pat Venditte, the switch pitcher, is finally here! - Cut4; Fangraphs
- Check out these never before seen scouting reports. - Cut4
- A very scary moment in Fenway as a fan was struck by a broken bat and sustained life-threatening injury. Fortunately she is recovering and expected to survive. - MLB
- A look at how Major League Baseball can better protect its fans. - Fangraphs
- Baseball players tweet about American Pharaoh winning the Triple Crown. - Cut4
- The MLB Draft is tonight. Here is a guide telling you everything you need to know about the TV schedule and how to watch. - MLB Daily Dish
- The Astros call up Carlos Correa. - MLB
Here are some fun facts about him. - Cut4
- The MLB's next wave of TTO hitters is here. - Sports on Earth
- The Angels have yet another PR mess. - Fangraphs
what the cardinals are up to...
- The Birdos were almost in a stinky situation. - Cut4
- Vin Scully picked his all time National League team. Here is his roster. - STLToday
- The Cards might draft Tate Matheny again. What does the skipper think of that? - STLToday
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the colorado rockies
- The Rockies are looking for their first series win at Coors Field this season. - Purple Row
- Cardinal pitching will be tested at Coors. - STLToday
- Check out Purple Row for more Rockies stuff! - Purple Row
the nl central
- Andrew McCutchen wants to be Taylor Swift's best friend. - Cut4
|St. Louis Cardinals||38||19||.667|
|Friday, June 5||Cardinals||2||Dodgers||1||VEB Recap||TBLA Recap|
|Saturday, June 6||Cardinals||0||Dodgers||2||VEB Recap||TBLA Recap|
|Sunday, June 7||Cardinals||4||Dodgers||2||VEB Recap||TBLA Recap|
Send me links! Tweet me @lil_scooter93 or e-mail me at lil_scooter93 AT msn DOT com!