Cardinals Care is the community foundation of the St. Louis Cardinals. Through this foundation the team is able to support the St. Louis area youth by funding health, educational, recreational, mentoring, and arts programs. One of the main fundraisers for the Cardinals Care foundation is its annual 6K. This race takes the runner around downtown St. Louis for six kilometers - six in honor of the late Stan Musial - and finishes on the field. Since 2012 Viva el Birdos has been a proud participant in this event, raising over $15,000 for Cardinals Care in that time. Of course, we could not have done it without the wonderful assistance of you kind, charitable readers. And so, it is time to ask for your help once again.
We at Viva el Birdos, a group of writers and loyal readers, will once again be running in this 6K for charity. Last year we as community raised over $7,000 for the children of the St. Louis area. As is the case every year, we will be trying to surpass the amount of the previous year. It is an ambitious goal, and if we have a prayer at meeting it we must get an early start. And so we ask for your help, VEB, in whatever way you can. Whether it is in the form of a tax deductible donation, tickets or merchandise we can raffle off, t-shirt designs, fundraiser ideas, or simply spreading the word of our endeavor, all help is appreciated.
One of my favorite things about this community is how we band together outside The Internets for things like this wonderful event. It just further shows this place is so much more than a Cardinals blog - it is truly a community of compassionate and good people. Stay awesome, folks!
what else is going on in baseball...
- Brandon McCarthy just underwent Tommy John surgery. Brandon McCarthy is on some pretty powerful pain meds.
my penis looks ridiculous when i take a bath— Brandon McCarthy (@BMcCarthy32) May 4, 2015
- Batting Stance guy does a top ten of the current managers' stances. - YouTube
- Major League Baseball games are now nine minutes shorter THANK GOD. - Cut4
- Blue Jays hitting coach got in a little spat with an umpire after a game. - Hardball Talk
- Yasiel Puig is on a rehab assignment. - Hardball Talk
- On May 6, 1915 Babe Ruth hit his first home run. - Baseball Hall
- A member of the Fangraphs community built a concussion database. - Fangraphs
- Edward Mujica has been DFA'd. - Hardball Talk
- The Red Sox also fired their pitching coach. - Hardball Talk
- Check out these cool old-timey photos! - The Hardball Times
- These teams need these injured players back something fierce. - Sports Illustrated
- FORKBALL ALERT! - Baseball Prospectus
- An attempt to predict Bryce Harper's career. - SBNation
- 25 years ago, a cat ran onto the field, inspiring Tony LaRussa to help animals. - ARF
- Geena Davis and Rosie O'Donnell have a mini A League of Their Own Reunion. - SBNation
O's activate J.J. Hardy for season debut - J.J. Hardy | BAL http://t.co/4p3UNtGln6— Rotoworld Baseball (@Rotoworld_BB) May 7, 2015
what the cardinals are up to...
love this game https://t.co/jf3SBdrBMs— Marlins Man (@Marlins_Man) May 5, 2015
1899 was a very long time ago -- also known as the last time the #STLCards started a season with a 19-6 record.— viva el birdos (@vivaelbirdos) May 5, 2015
"C'mon dude..." pic.twitter.com/3D6u34YciI— NBCSN (@NBCSN) May 5, 2015
Carlos Martinez (@Tsunamy27) May 5, 2015
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the pittsburgh pirates
- The Pirates have worn the number 69 more than any other team. - Sporting News
- Check out Bucs Dugout for all things Pirates! - Bucs Dugout
the nl central
Oh. RT @ESPNChiCubs Maddon on Cards series: "They out-competed us, in a sense, experience wise. That’s it. And we will make that up."— Drew Silva (@drewsilv) May 7, 2015
- The postponed Cardinals-Cubs game has been rescheduled for July 7. - MLB
- Bob Uecker was trapped in his own radio booth. - Cut4
- Mike Fiers throws an immaculate inning. - Sports Illustrated
|St. Louis Cardinals||21||7||.750|
viva el stuff...
- Ben Loyd discusses rallies and superstitions. - Viva el Birdos
- The Cardinals are considered the favorite to sign the number one international pitching prospect, Alvaro Seijas. - Viva el Birdos
- rmb715 wonders if it will be Matt Carpenter for MVP. - Viva el Birdos
Keep baseball weird.— tom s (@Tom_sveb) May 5, 2015
In 61 games in the outfield in Major League Baseball, Pete Gray had three assists. This is a photo of Pete Gray. pic.twitter.com/do9Oki6KOd— John (@johnjf125) May 6, 2015
- The Sports Emmys were given out this week. Ernie Johnson does something sweet with his. - Fox Sports
- AHAHAHAHAHAHA - ESPN
|Monday, May 4||Cubs||9||Cardinals||10||VEB Recap||BCB Recap|
|Tuesday, May 5||Cubs||4||Cardinals||7||VEB Recap||BCB Recap|
|Wednesday, May 6||Cubs||6||Cardinals||5||VEB Recap||BCB Recap|
|Thursday, May 7||Cubs||1||Cardinals||5||VEB Recap||BCB Recap|
Alright, folks! Send me links by e-mailing me at lil_scooter93 AT msn DOT com or tweeting me @lil_scooter93!