You might recall a few weeks ago when Joe wrote about how remembering Oscar Taveras the ballplayer is not condoning Oscar Taveras the drunk driver. If you have not read it, or even if you have, I suggest reading it now, for it is one of my favorite articles that Joe has written.
As we approach Opening Day, preparations must be made for the start of the season. Among those preparations is the new patch on the Cardinals uniforms. A simple black circle with the letters "O" and "T" in white font that will rest atop the sleeve of the Cardinal jersey, and will appear especially dramatic against the crisp whiteness of the home uniform. It will serve as a stark reminder of a life cut too short by tragedy, but also of a team, an organization, a group of friends, and a family that grieve for a young man that is forever gone from this earth.
Grief causes us humans to do seemingly strange things for the sake of comfort. The current desktop for my computer is a picture of Oscar hugging Matt Adams while celebrating the Cardinals advancing to the NLCS. It has been this picture for the five months since his passing. It will remain this picture for much longer, most likely. It serves as a reminder to me and to those that pass by it that Oscar Taveras was once alive and I miss him. It should not surprise us that the people that knew the young man best would want to remind others of that as well.
what else is going on in baseball...
what the cardinals are up to...
- Bernie writes about Matt Holliday's consistency. - STLToday
- Is Mark Reynolds more versatile than we think? - MLB
- By Gosh looks at the Cardinals' most pressing matters. - MLB
- The pace of play rules are no big deal. - STL Sports Page
- PITCHING. - Cards Conclave
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Five young game changers in the Central. - 101 Sports
- Cardinal70 looks at the 2015 Pirates. - Cards Conclave
- The Brewers are selling this. - FanDuel
- Cubs' Kris Bryant keeps hitting dingers. - MLB
- A preview of the 2015 Cubs. - Hardball Talk
viva el stuff...
- johnjf125 writes about the greatest Cardinals lineup by wins above replacement. - Viva el Birdos
- The fifth annual VEB predictions contest is ready for your answers! - Viva el Birdos
Still worried about Jason Heyward's supposed lack of power? http://t.co/wdmIqdQ17D— stlCupofJoe (@stlCupofJoe) March 26, 2015
Troll hard, St. Louis Target. pic.twitter.com/acC74pl28b— spants (@spants) March 27, 2015
- Want to join a Viking army? Now you can! - Love Belfast
Each state's best-selling throwback jersey. pic.twitter.com/WN04R3FRfi— Bloggers To Be Named (@Bloggers2BNamed) March 25, 2015
- The Blues drop the Penguins 3-2 in overtime. - St. Louis Game Time