- The Cardinals optioned catcher Cody Stanley to Triple-A.
- The Cards optioned infielder Aledmys Diaz to Triple-A.
- St. Louis reassigned outfielder Rafael Ortega to minor-league camp.
- The Cardinals also reassigned catcher Travis Tartamella to minor-league camp.
As with previous rounds of cuts, there aren't any surprises here. None of Stanley, Diaz, Ortega, or Tartamella were going to make the opening-day MLB roster. In fact, it would be surprising if any of them make it to St. Louis this season before the September roster expansion.
I had to recreate the spring-training roster matrix using a different website, so the color scheme is a bit more nuanced (because I'm using a better website). Here's how the color-coding works:
- Name in white font: Righty.
- Name in yellow font: Lefty.
- Name in orange font: Switch-hitter.
- Red: Player likely to make the 25-man roster at that position.
- Navy: Player involved in a spring-training competition of some sort. For example, Pete Kozma, Ty Kelly, and Randal Grichuk appear to be competing to make the 25-man MLB roster as bench players. Meanwhile, Jaime Garcia seems to have opened up a lead in the competition for No. 5 starter. This could land Carlos Martinez in a relief role, which would jeopardize the chances for players like Sam Freeman and Carlos Villanueva to make the St. Louis bullpen on opening day.
- Royal Blue: Member of the 40-man roster unlikely to make the opening-day MLB 25-man roster.
- Light Blue: Non-roster invitee (NRI).
- Light Gray: Member of the 40-man roster who has been optioned to Triple-A already this spring.
- Dark Gray: NRI who has been reassigned to minor-league camp already this spring.