The St. Louis Cardinals made their second round of spring-training cuts on Tuesday, sendings a handful of non-roster invitees from major- to minor-league camp. Consequently, it's time to update the ol' spring training roster matrix. MLB.com's Jenifer Langosch reports that the Cardinals made the following moves:
- Optioned infielder and member of the 40-man roster Greg Garcia to Triple-A
- Optioned lefthanded pitcher and member of the 40-man roster Tyler Lyons to Triple-A
- Reassigned catching prospect Carson Kelly to minor-league camp
- Reassigned infield prospect Breyvic Valera to minor-league camp
- Red: Likely 25-man roster member. As RB and I discussed on the VEB podcast, Marco Gonzales starting the year as a starter in Memphis might be the best-case scenario for the Cardinals, because it would mean the club's top four starters are all healthy, Carlos Martinez is healthy and pitching effectively in the rotation, and Kevin Siegrist is healthy and pitching effectively in the bullpen. Still, I think Gonzales is more likely than not a member of the St. Louis Cardinals come opening day.
- Navy Blue: Spring training competition. I'm even less sure of placing Randal Grichuk in this category midweek as I was on Sunday, but we'll keep him here until we get tea leaves to clear up the bench competition.
- Royal Blue: Member of the 40-man roster but unlikely to make the opening-day 25-man active MLB roster.
- Light Blue: Non-roster invitee.
- Gray: Optioned or reassigned to minor-league camp.