During Thursday night's game, Kolten Wong hit two dingers. Twitter flipped out in a glorious way. Here it is for your enjoyment:
(Click for GIF that does not open in a new tab.)
Kolten Wong, Power Hitter™— Heather Simon (@lil_scooter93) August 8, 2014
Kolten Wong has more homeruns than Robinson Cano in 200 fewer plate appearances.— El Maquino (@elmaquino) August 8, 2014
Wong's 8th HR of year gives him 30 RBI. 5 of his HRs and 24 RBI have come with two outs. Has .329 average with 2 outs. #STLCards— Rob Rains (@RobRains) August 8, 2014
Damn, girl. pic.twitter.com/ODyR62o7LR— Drew Silva (@drewsilv) August 8, 2014
Matheny got me like pic.twitter.com/yhEPyBX85X— Regressed (@NL_Purity) August 8, 2014
"Boy, did he spank that high fast ball." - Tim McCarver.— Heather Simon (@lil_scooter93) August 8, 2014
Kolten Wong wRC+ before the game: 86 Kolten Wong wRC+ for the game: 772 Kolten Wong wRC+ after the game: 96 #FunWithStats— Njick (@FWBluesFan) August 8, 2014
Brace yourself for this one:
what else is going on in baseball...
- Allen Craig heads to the DL with a foot (yes, that foot) injury. - MLB
- It appears Cliff Lee will not need surgery! - Sports Illustrated
- Some people are actually saying Bryce Harper should been sent down to the minors... I just... what? - SBNation
- This is a video of Mark Teixeira interviewing Brett Gardner on some odd talk show bit that he does? I really cannot quite figure it out. Is he really like that or just playing a part? Anyway, it is funny. - MLB Fancave
- Here is an idea: why don't we stop telling professional athletes when they can and cannot have kids? - SBNation
- Scary moment as Dan Jennings of the Marlins leaves a game after being struck in the head by a line drive. Pittsburgh just cannot help but hit people! - Hardball Talk; Video
- Some players have been able to have quite "successful" careers while accumulating negative WAR. How did they do it? - Hardball Times
- Albert Pujols teaches Yasiel Puig a valuable lesson on respecting your elders (and one of the greatest players of our generation), all narrated by Vin Scully. Perfection. - MLB
- The Hunter Pence sign insults are taking off. - SBNation
- Spread the MLB hate. Also, Chicago has totally taken over Illinois. Almost all of southern Ill. is Cards Land, but freakin' Chicago... - SBNation
- This is a really cool article about the declining use of the curveball. Guess who gets a mention? - Sports on Earth
- Mike Trout turned 23 this week. - MLB; SBNation
- Adam Dunn pitched a baseball in a real game. - Cut4
- Jeff Sullivan attempts to defend Tony LaRussa's remarks on intentional beanings and pitching high and tight. - Fangraphs
- On this day in baseball history, the White Sox did something no team had ever done. - Chicagoist
what the cardinals are up to...
- Joe Kelly faced Shelby Miller on Wednesday. Awwww.... - STLToday; Cut4
St. Louis Cardinals (@Cardinals) August 5, 2014
- Craig, Allen discusses the trade from the Cardinals to the Red Sox. - Fox Sports
- And they played Kelly's walkup music! - Fox Sports
- Dang, Pat Neshek, guys.
Pat Neshek just carved up Brock Holt, Dustin Pedroia, and David Ortiz. 0.78 ERA, 0.60 WHIP, 49/6 K/BB in 46 1/3 innings with the Cardinals.— Drew Silva (@drewsilv) August 6, 2014
- As Craig and I have pointed out a few times, Matt Holliday is starting to really heat up. - STLToday
- Wacha is throwing again and his arm feels "alive". - STLToday; MLB
- Lance Lynn reminds us to look on the bright side of the trade. Kind of.
Lance Lynn told me on @FSMidwest that the best part of adding Lackey and Masterson is that it leaves S. Miller as the "runt of the litter".— Jim Hayes (@TheCatOnFox) August 8, 2014
- We love Matt Carpenter's plate discipline, but it wasn't always so cherished. - Fox Sports
- Vexed Techie has updated his Sabermattrics sheet. - Google Docs
- Pat Neshek would like to stay with the Cardinals. - STLToday
- Ever wondered what it was like to run a manual scoreboard for the Cardinals? - Cards Conclave
- Ben sent me this very good BP article on Oscar Taveras, including GIFs and video and other awesome stuff! - Baseball Prospectus
- Jason Motte lands on the DL with a "back strain". - CBS Sports
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Matt Garza hits the DL with an oblique strain. - SBNation
- The Reds have revealed the All Star Game logo for 2015. Thanks to As You Van Slyke It for the link! - Cincinnati
- Something strange happened in the Reds-Indians game.
Wait, this isn’t right … http://t.co/u5LgphPkxQ— MLB GIFS (@MLBGIFs) August 6, 2014
- The Cubs have claimed Cole Hamels off revocable waivers. - Hardball Talk
- The loss of Andrew McCutchen is a huge blow to the Pirates. - Fangraphs; Sports Illustrated; Sports on Earth
Milwaukee Brewers 63 52 .548 - St. Louis Cardinals 61 52 .540 1.0 Pittsburgh Pirates 61 53 .535 1.5 Cincinnati Reds 59 56 .513 4.0 Chicago Cubs 49 64 .434 13.0
the baltimore orioles
- The Continental gives us a very special preview for this series. - Viva el Birdos
- Camden Chat also does a preview. - Camden Chat
- For more in depth Orioles news, check out CC! - Camden Chat
viva el stuff...
- Ghosty wrote this brief fanpost about the Cardinals possibly dodging a bullet with Wagner Mateo. - Viva el Birdos
- Today I am in the mood for A Play in One Act. - Viva el Archives
- Sports are dangerous. New York Giants' runningback David Wilson must leave football due to a serious neck injury. - NFL
- I cannot stop watching these "Celebrities Read Mean Tweets". Here are some ones towards NBA players. - Youtube; Youtube
- Are you a pathological reader? - Oprah's Book Club
|Tuesday, August 5||Red Sox||2||Cardinals||3||VEB Recap||OtM Recap|
|Wednesday, August 6||Red Sox||2||Cardinals||1||VEB Ruicap||OtM Recap|
|Thursday, August 7||Red Sox||2||Cardinals||5||VEB TCCap||OtM Recap|
Tonight Justin Masterson and the Birdos head to Baltimore to take on Chris Tilman. Game time is 6:05pm CST.
Don't forget you can send me cool links via the e-mail address in my profile! You can also tweet me @lil_scooter93!