Memphis 8 Fresno 0
- Tommy Pham (CF): 2-4, 2 R, 2B, HR, RBI, BB
Randal Grichuk (LF): 0-5, 3 K
Stephen Piscotty (RF): 1-4, RBI, K
Xavier Scruggs (1B): 2-5, 2R, HR, RBI, K
- Ed Easley (C): 3-3, 2 R, HR, RBI
- Pete Kozma (SS): 3-4, 2 R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI
- Marco Gonzales (SP): 6 IP, 0 ER, BB, 6 K
- Jorge Rondon (RP): 1 IP, 2 K
- Marco Gonzales was impressive again, but still has some work to do on the efficiency front: He's gotten to the 7th inning just twice in 7 starts for Memphis, despite getting a pitch count of near 100 every time out (he threw 102 last night).
- Xavier Scruggs has been a bit of a forgotten man with all the salivating over the Memphis outfield, but he's put up a solid season: .279/.363/.482 coming into the game on Sunday (.372 wOBA) and he hit his 20th homer in the contest, with the three hits bringing his BA up to .280 on the year. What's more impressive is how much he's been able to cut down the strikeouts: 32.4% of his PA's ended in a K last year and he's slashed 10 points off that in 2014, all the way down to 22%. He's 26, can't play anywhere except first base, yada yada yada. Still hard to find a lot of right handed bats with pop in the minors right now and he's one. Hopefully he gets a shot in September to show his skills at the MLB level.
- Only 6 more days in August, Mr. Pham, although if the team stays in first place, you'll likely have some bonus baseball to play prior to getting an MLB call.
Tulsa 5 Springfield 0
- Charlie Tilson (CF): 0-4
- Lee Stoppelman (RP): 1.1 IP, H, 3 K
- Sam Tuivailala (RP): IP, 3 K
- Nothing much to say about this game offensively as the S-Cards got dominated by Ryan Arrowood of the Drillers and three Tulsa relievers. Just 3 hits on the night for Springfield.
- The Springfield bullpen is looking stout as ever though: Stoppelman and Tooey struck out all but 2 of the batters they faced on the night, with Sam blowing away his three hitters with 100+ mph heat. Can't wait to see him in the big leagues -- he's going to be fun to watch.
Palm Beach 12 Bradenton 11 (10 innings)
- Bruce Caldwell (3B): 2-6, R, 2 K, SB
- Luke Voit (1B): 0-3, 2 R, 3 BB, K, SB
- David Washington (RF): 1-6, R, 2B, 2 K
- Anthony Garcia (LF): 2-6, 2 R, 2B, 2 RBI
- Mason Katz (2B): 3-5, 2 RBI, BB
- Jimmy Bosco (DH): 4-6, 3 R, 2 2B, 3B, 4 RBI, K
- Gerwuins Velazco (C): 2-3, R, 2B, RBI, 2 BB
- Bosco fell a homer short of the cycle while driving in 4 and scoring 3 times, accounting for 7 of the Palm Beach runs.
- I have no idea why Luke Voit is stealing bases, but dammit, I really want to see him do so on video.
- Nothing to really talk about on the pitching side in this one -- Ronnie Shaban entered a 9-5 game in the ninth gave up 5 runs to allow Bradenton to take the lead before being rescued by a Mason Katz RBI single in the bottom half of the frame.
Clinton 4 Peoria 3
- CJ McElroy (CF): 0-4
- Steve Bean (C): 1-3, R, BB
- Ronald Castillo (LF): 2-3, HR, RBI, BB
- Alex Reyes (SP): 6 IP, 3 H, ER, 0 BB, 9 K
- Jhonny Polanco (RP): IP, 3 H, 2 ER, BB
- Alex Reyes in August (3 starts): 18.1 IP, 9 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 30 K
- Reyes will turn 20 right before his season ends, but with just over 100 innings so far this season I wouldn't be surprised if he made and AFL start or two.
- Polanco had a rare bad outing for him this season, failing to strike anyone out and giving up three hard hit balls in play.
Jamestown 5 State College 2
- Darren Seferina (2B): 1-5, K
- Danny Diekroeger (3B): 1-5, 3B,
- Nick Thompson (RF): 1-5
- Alex De Leon (DH): 0-4, 2 K
- Collin Radack (CF): 2-3, RBI
- Fernando Baez (SP): 5 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
Kingsport 9 Johnson City 1
- Oscar Mercado (SS): 0-3, SB (24), PO
- Blake Drake (CF): 2-4, 2B, K
- Casey Grayson (1B): 1-4
- Devante Lacy (LF): 0-2, BB, 2 K
- Jose Godoy (C): 0-3
- Landon Beck (SP): 5 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 5 K
Memphis: Tyler Lyons
Springfield: Kyle Hald
Palm Beach: Tyrell Jenkins
State College: Trey Nielsen
Johnson City: Dailyn Martinez
<div class="likebox-fullwidth"><iframe allowtransparency="true" style="border:none; overflow:hidden;" scrolling="no" src="//www.facebook.com/plugins/likebox.php?href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fvivaelbirdos&width=560&height=185&colorscheme=light&show_faces=true&show_border=false&stream=false&header=false" frameborder="0"></iframe></div>