According to the ALS website, "amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Motor neurons reach from the brain to the spinal cord and from the spinal cord to the muscles throughout the body. The progressive degeneration of the motor neurons in ALS eventually leads to their death. When the motor neurons die, the ability of the brain to initiate and control muscle movement is lost. With voluntary muscle action progressively affected, patients in the later stages of the disease may become totally paralyzed." In laymen's terms, what happens to those afflicted with the disease is they slowly lose their ability to move parts of their body, while leaving their mind un-affected. The final stage leaves them in a state where they cannot move any part of their body at all, not even their mouth to speak, but are completely aware of everything happening around them.
Basically, ALS is a horrible disease, and it scares the hell out of me.
Until recently with the viral sensation that is the #IceBucketChallenge, ALS was not a disease in the common man's thoughts. Really, the last time it made real news was when Lou Gehrig was diagnosed over 75 years ago, which is why the disease is commonly referred to using his name (although I have heard he didn't actually have ALS like it is defined today). Because of this connection to one of their own, Major League Baseball has really stepped up with taking on the #IceBucketChallenge, with everyone from our own Joe Schwarz to the commissioner to stars like Albert Pujols and Derek Jeter getting involved and trying to do his or her part. While you may get annoyed with seeing it on your timeline or newsfeed, and isome people probably are just doing it for attention without understanding its significance, the impact it has made is real. People are starting to pay attention to ALS, and maybe someday there will be a cure for this terrifying affliction.
what else is going on in baseball...
- Derek Jeter participates in the #IceBucketChallenge and calls out Michael Jordan, who accepts, so basically, this is the coolest link ever. - Cut4
- THEN TONY LARUSSA DOES IT! - MLB
- Yasiel Puig is a wizard. - Deadspin
- Pat Neshek tweeted this story about Joe Nossek and collecting baseball cards. - PSA Card
- Cameron Maybin is reinstated by the Padres after being suspended 25 games for amphetamines. - Hardball Talk
- What manager jobs might be open at the end of the season. - Sports Illustrated
- Nick Swisher is out for the season after double knee surgery. - Sports Illustrated
- Get to know the new commisioner, Ron Manfred. - Sports Illustrated
- With Tulo out, look at the new NL MVP favorite. - Sports Illustrated
- Curt Schilling reveals the cancer he is in remission from is an oral cancer caused by smokeless tobacco. - Just a Bit Outside
- TULO :( - MLB
- Talking situational leverage with Tony LaRussa. - Grantland
- HIGH SOCKS vs. STIRRUPS vs. LONG PANTS, PICK A SIDE. - Cut4
- Gerrett Richards gets hurt really badly. - SBNation
- These are some of the best comebacks in recent history. - Sports on Earth
- MO'NE DAVIS. - Sports on Earth
- After seeing the success of the #IceBucketChallenge, Nick Punto issues a gritty challenge of his own. - Twinkie Town
what the cardinals are up to...
- The Redbirds of Memphis are in the playoff hunt, but that doesn't change the call up plans this September. - MLB
- In exchange for his number (uniform number, that is), John Lackey buys Pat Neshek a signed Babe Ruth ball. - SBNation
- Love you all.
I'm in love with this team https://t.co/AmPqhU02qg— Annie (@AnnieMcGuire5) August 21, 2014
- Jon Jay is a wrecking crew. - Fox Sports
- Do mound visits help the Cardinals? El Maquino investigates in this very interesting article. - EL Maquino
- Love you, Lance Lynn.
Lynn knows 2010 history and #MLB leaderboards and said this about Cueto: "It didn’t hurt my feelings one bit beating him." #cardinals #reds— Derrick Goold (@dgoold) August 21, 2014
- FOUR MORE YEARS... of Peoria and the Cardinals together! - Cards Conclave
- Holy cow.
The 1968 @Cardinals threw 30 team shutouts, the most by any team since 1961. Bob Gibson had 13 CG shutouts that year alone. #ThinkBaseball— CHConfidential (@CHConfidential) August 19, 2014
- Yadier Molina should swing a bat this week!!!! - Hardball Talk
- If you ever wanted to eat like a Cardinal, now you can! (thanks to Wyocardsfan for this link!) - ESPN
- Here is a look into the birthplace of the "The Birds on the Bat". (link courtesy of the wonder flood.) - STLToday
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- The Cubs really Cubsed the heck outta this. - Cut4
Because of this, the field was unplayable and the game was called with the Cubs in the lead. The Giants protested and... they won. They actually won. (But then lost the game, anyway.) - McCovey Chronicles
- On a more serious note, thoughts are with Starlin Castro as he will be placed on the bereavement list while he returns to the Dominican after his cousin and close friends perished in a car accident. - Hardball Talk
- LOVE THIS DOG! Plus, he gets to hang out with Hank Aaron. - MLB Fancave
all hank all the time. @mlbonfox https://t.co/6lHuY8jZjH— Lana Berry (@Lana) August 20, 2014
- Whoopsie! - MLB
- Cutch does the #IceBucketChallenge. - MLB
Milwaukee Brewers 71 56 .559 - St. Louis Cardinals 69 57 .548 1.5 Pittsburgh Pirates 65 62 .512 6.0 Cincinnati Reds 61 67 .477 10.5 Chicago Cubs 55 72 .433 16.0
the philadelphia philadelphias
- the red baron talks about the upcoming series on The Phans in Philli (about the 51:00 minute mark). Seriously, you hear his voice. - Michael Cerio
- Special guest preview this week written by the one and only santiagofish. - Viva el Birdos
- Robth writes about the Phillis and bein' old. - Viva el Birdos
- The Good Phight does an interview with Ryan Howard. I heard he is from St. Louis. - The Good Phight
- For more Phillies news, check out The Good Phight. - The Good Phight
viva el stuff...
- In the fanposts this week:
Ben Cerutti gives us an update on how his predictions are going. - Viva el Birdos
Ben also discusses the amazingness that is Matt Carpenter. - Viva el Birdos
Ben was very busy this week as he writes another post about an optimal Cardinal lineup. - Viva el Birdos
brakenthebox is doing a clever raffle of his skills to earn donations for the children! - Viva el Birdos
- In honor of Daniel Descalso's recent hot streak. - SBNation St. Louis
- Guess what now exists. Aw yes, a VEB Podcast. Check out the Pilot Episode here. - iTunes
- And the moment you have all been waiting for... Episode I of the Viva el Birdos Podcast. Let the calming and melodic tones of Ben Humphrey and I guess Fink soothe you. - Viva el Birdos
- Uncommon games people consider sports. - SBNation
- Watch Jamie Carragher's reaction when this child asks him if Luiz Suarez ever bit him. - SBNation
- Jim Harbaugh of the San Franscico 49ers talks growing up loving baseball and peeing his pants for an autograph. - Sports Illustrated
- Check out this passive-aggressive note battle as one man, with the help of one HR representative, fights for his sandwich. - College Humor
- F/X is playing every Simpsons episode ever. Here are the best sports episodes. - Sports on Earth
|Tuesday, August 19||Reds||4||Cardinals||5||VEB Recap||RR Recap|
|Wednesday, August 20||Reds||3||Cardinals||7||VEB Recap||RR Recap|
The Cardinals come in to tonight's game against the Phillies after having swept the Reds. Adam Wainwright looks to continue the hot streak against Kyle Kendricks at 6:05pm CST.
Send me links! E-mail: email@example.com Twitter: lil_scooter93
Don't forget to head on over to Cardinals Care and donate to the newly formed Viva el Birdos 2.