Memphis beat Albuquerque 6 - 5
- Thomas Pham (CF), 1 for 4, BB, R
- Stephen Piscotty (RF), 3 for 4, BB, R, RBI
- Xavier Scruggs (1B), 1 for 4, K, R, RBI
- Greg Garcia (2B), 1 for 4, 2B, R, RBI
- Pete Kozma (SS), 2 for 3, BB, HR, R, 2 RBI, CS
- Mike O'Neill (LF), 1 for 3, BB
- Randal Grichuk (PH), 0 for 1
- Marco Gonzales, 5.0 IP, 4 Hits, 2 Ks, 2 BBs, 2 HR, 4 ER
This season has already been a great success for Gonzales, as he's gone from High A to the majors, though he's back in AAA for now. That said, on the surface he has slowed down a bit in Memphis with an ERA now at 4.01. However, his K and BB percentages are pretty similar, as he's striking out a bit more than 20% of his opponents and walking about 5%. The source of his troubles has been the long ball, as he's allowed 7 homers in 33 2/3 IP at AAA, against just three from his 76 1/3 combined IP at Springfield and Palm Beach. The home run rate from AA and High A is probably a bit low; I would expect his "true" home run rate being closer to his season rate.
Springfield beat Frisco 2 - 1
- Charlie Tilson (CF), 1 for 5, 3 Ks
- Breyvic Valera (2B), 2 for 5, K
- Rafael Ortega (RF), 1 for 4
- Alex Mejia (SS), 0 for 4, K
- Kurt Heyer, 5.0 IP, 4 Ks, BB, 4 Hits, 0 ER
- Lee Stoppelman, 1 IP, K, 0 ER
- Sam Tuivailala, 2 IP, 6 Ks, BB, 2 Hits, ER
- Joey Donofrio, 3 IP, 4 Ks, 0 Hits, 0 ER
Valera's success at AA has been impressive, considering his K-rate has doubled. I'm not sure his BABIP can continue this high over .300 (currently .330+ at AA) as he advances toward the majors, but here's hoping.
I wasn't familiar with Donofrio, but his numbers have been impressive this year, with a strong K:BB ratio after starting the year at AA -- up from Low A last season. He's put up solid numbers at every level since he was drafted in the 31st round of 2012's draft. Someone to keep an eye on, perhaps.
This is just a brief reminder that Tuivailala is ridiculous; why were they trying to make him a SS again?
The demotion back to AA has really restored Stoppelman's K:BB ratio, but his ERA has still been terrible. He does seem to hit quite a few guys though. Seems about one every four innings -- am I wrong in thinking that's quite high?
Palm Beach lost to Charlotte 0 - 2
- Aledmys Diaz (DH), 0 for 3, BB, K
- Luke Voit (1B), 0 for 3, BB, K
- Anthony Garcia (LF), 2 for 3
- Mason Katz (PH - 2B), 0 for 1
- Tyrell Jenkins, 7.0 IP, 3 Ks, 3 BBs, 8 Hits, 2 ER
Every time I see Jenkins has started, I get excited and hope he struck out a bunch of guys. Hey, remember 2011 and 2012 when he struck out 20+% of the batters? That was pretty neat. I long for those days. His walk rate is much lower now than it was then, but I have a tendency to believe in prospects that have high K-rates more than guys with low BB-rates.
Peoria beat Burlington 10 - 7
- Vaughn Bryan (DH), 3 for 4, BB, 2 2Bs, R
- C.J. McElroy (CF), 1 for 2, K, 3 Runs, SB
- Juan Herrera (SS), 0 for 4, R, RBI
- Carson Kelly (C), 2 for 5, RBI, K
- Rowan Wick (LF), 1 for 4, BB, K, R
- Ronald Castillo (RF), 1 for 2, 2B, 2 BBs, RBI
- Kyle Barraclough, 1 IP, K, 0 ER
State College beat Mahoning Valley 5 - 4
- Danny Diekroger (2B), 1 for 4, K, R, RBI
- Nick Thompson (RF), 0 for 2, 2 BBs, R
- Alex De Leon (DH), 3 for 4, 2B, HR, K, R, 3 RBI
- Jake Stone (1B), 1 for 4
- Kyle Grana, 1 IP, 2 Ks, BB
GCL Cardinals lost to GCL Marlins 2 - 7
- Edmundo Sosa (SS), 1 for 4, 2 Ks
- Malik Collymore (2B), 1 for 4, 3 Ks
- Elier Rodriguez (1B), 1 for 3
- Dylan Hawkins, IP, K
Johnson City lost to Pulaski 1 - 8
- Casey Turgeon (2B), 0 for 3
- Oscar Mercado (SS), 0 for 3
- Blake Drake (CF), 1 for 2, BB
- Chris Rivera (3B), 0 for 3, K
This game was just seven innings, in part so a second game could be finished from a previous date.
Johnson City beat Pulaski 4 - 2
- Casey Turgeon (DH), 0 for 3, BB, K
- Oscar Mercado (SS), 1 for 3, BB, RBI, SB, Picked Off (Third Base)
- Chris Rivera (3B), 0 for 4, 2 Ks
- Jonathan Escudero, 3 1/3 IP, 6 Ks, 0 Hits, 0 BBs, 0 ER
This game was also just seven innings, completing a game from July 18th.
Oscar Mercado has been just brutal so far. His career OPS is below .600.
DSL Cardinals lost to the DSL Rockies 2 - 3
Memphis: Tyler Lyons
Springfield: Kyle Hald
Palm Beach: Luke Weaver
Peoria: Luis Perdomo
State College: Austin Gomber
Johnson City: Landon Beck