Yesterday, the Cardinals traded two wonderful men. Yes, this is a business. Yes, this was a good trade. That doesn't make the goodbye any less difficult. It doesn't make the nostalgia just go away.
So, let us all raise a glass to Joe Kelly. Your handshake game may be sorely lacking, but your joy is infectious. You always kept it interesting. When Joe Kelly is around, there is never a dull moment. Never once did your hilarious antics ever feel contrived or fake. You are true to yourself, and yourself is one cool cat, Joe.
And now, the really difficult one. Let us all raise a glass to Allen Craig, the professional hitter, the clutchiest clutcher, the RBI machine. When the Cardinals needed you most, you delivered. And delivered. And delivered. And delivered. And delivered. And delivered. You did this on shattered kneecaps, newly healed and fragile feet. You were never the fleetest of foot nor the smoothest in the field, but you were always calm under pressure. You were the man that caught the last out of the improbable World Series run. It just... it wasn't supposed to end like this, Allen. You are the hero. The hero never gets traded to Boston. When did we get put in a George R.R. Martin novel?
Never form attachments to professional athletes or Game of Thrones characters, kids - it always ends in heartache.
*Downs shot - MLB
This toast has been edited from its original version to fit in the space allotted. The whole thing can be read here. - Google Docs
the trade deadline...
- What the World Series winners of the past have done at the deadline. - Sports on Earth
- The trade deadline winners and losers. - Hardball Talk
- Around the deadline a GM-to-English translator could be useful. - Sports on Earth
- Keep track of all the deals made here. - MLB; SBNation
- Did the Boston Red Sox win the day? - USA Today
- David Price goes to the Tigers. - D Rays Bay
- The Phillies' ship is sinking. - Philly
- More trade stuff. - SBNation
- These are the biggest deadline deals in the past 20 years. - Sports on Earth
what the cardinals are up to...
- Check out Justin Masterson, the second newest Cardinal pitcher acquired from the Indians for James Ramsey. - Viva el Birdos
- The Cardinals acquire John Lackey for Joe Kelly and Allen Craig. - MLB; Viva el Birdos
- Let us take a look back at Joe Kelly at his best. - Fox Sports
- The players say their public goodbyes:
Good luck to @JosephKellyJr and Allen craig.... Great friends, great teammates. You will be missed.— Adam Wainwright (@UncleCharlie50) August 1, 2014
Sad to see two great players, two great team mates and two great guys leave. Wish you guys the best! hermanos !!!— Yadier Molina (@Yadimolina04) July 31, 2014
Michael Wacha (@MichaelWacha) August 1, 2014
- Bernie weighs in on the trade. - STLToday
And Goold. - STLToday
And Strauss (Okay, I know you are looking at me funny, but just read it. It is good.) - STLToday
- This was pretty much the thing that made it dusty in my cubicle.
Allen Craig declines to talk to media about trade. When asked, barely says, "No." Leaves ballpark after hug from Wainwright. #Cardinals— Derrick Goold (@dgoold) July 31, 2014
KNOW THINE ENEMY
the nl central
- A look at the Pirates deadline. - Bucs Dugout
- James Russell (not ADDISON) and Emilio Bonifacio go to the Braves. - Bleed Cubbie Blue
- And here is an article on what the Reds did at the deadline -
|St. Louis Cardinals||57||50||.533||2.0|
the milwaukee brewers
- The Brewers acquire Gerardo Parra from the Diamondbacks. - Brew Crew Ball
- Craig (of the Edwards variety) graces us with a preview for the series. - Viva el Birdos
- For more in depth Brewers coverage, check out their SBN blog! - Brew Crew Ball
viva el stuff
- Lots of fanposts this week.
thepainguy talks hitting here. - Viva el Birdos
Catapults puts together this advances statistic. - Viva el Birdos
Tackle Box provides us with video Alex Reyes and Vaughn Bryan. - Viva el Birdos
WillGio makes a case for Tommy Milone. - Viva el Birdos
Will all miss George Kottaras. johnif125 breaks down his time as a Cardinal for us. - Viva el Birdos
- Viva el Birdos provided some trade coverage this week:
Justin Masterson - Viva el Birdos; Viva el Birdos
John Lackey - Viva el Birdos
Reflection - Viva el Birdos
- Look at this awesome ice cream! - cnet
- Michelle Beadle takes on Stephen A. Smith for saying stupid things. - Sports on Earth
- Bernie thinks the Rams will win ten games this year. - STLToday
|Tuesday, July 29||Cardinals||0||Padres||1||VEB Recap||GB Recap|
|Wednesday, July 30||Cardinals||1||Padres||VEB Ruicap||GB Recap|
|Thursday, July 31||Cardinals||6||Padres||2||VEB Recap||GB Recap|
Tonight the Cardinals return home to Busch Stadium as Adam Wainwright squares off against Wily Peralta. Game time is 7:15pm.