- Tommy Pham (CF): 2-4, K
- Randal Grichuk (LF): 0-4
- Stephen Piscotty (RF): 0-3, BB
- Xavier Scruggs (1B): 2-3, 2B, BB, K
- Greg Garcia (2B): 0-4
- John Gast (SP): 6 IP, 3 H, BB, 4 K
- Jorge Rondon (RP): 0.1 IP, H, 2 ER, BB
- Angel Castro (RP): 1 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, HR
- Four Sky Sox pitchers combined on the shutout, and all four have MLB pedigree: Journeyman Brett Tomko started, Nick Masset threw an inning on a rehab assignment, Christian Friedrich picked up the win, and Juan Nicasio closed it out for his first save of the year. Tough night to be a Redbird, even if three of those guys are below average pitchers on the year.
- Angel Castro got his fifth straight appearance in the bullpen after attending the AAA All-Star game for his abilities as a starter. Seems like the guy that the club will be calling on if and when they need a right handed reliever down the stretch as Rondon and Fornataro haven't been overwhelming in their stints in St. Louis.
- Rafael Ortega (RF): 1-4, R
- Mike O'Neill (LF): 2-4, 2B, K
- Breyvic Valera (2B): 0-3, R, K
- Jonathan Rodriguez (DH): 1-4,RBI, 2 K
- James Ramsey (CF): 0-3, BB, 2 K, SB (3)
- Cody Stanley (C): 1-3, BB, K
- Patrick Wisdom (3B): 0-2, RBI, BB, K
- Jonathan Cornelius (SP): 5 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
- Christopher Thomas (RP): 1 IP
- Sam Tuivailala (RP): 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 K
- Five Springfield pitchers combined to shut out the Naturals (I guess "Wonderboy" wasn't available for this one). Starter Jonathan Cornelius has had an up and down year, but the 26 year old lefty might have some juice as a LOOGY: Lefties are hitting just .197 against him this season with just 15 hits in 22.1 innings against them.
- "Tooey" with another scoreless appearance, throwing smoke, bruising Cody Stanley's hand. The usual.
Daytona 9 Palm Beach 1
- Charlie Tilson (CF): 1-4, K
- Bruce Caldwell (3B): 0-4, 3 K
- Luke Voit (1B): 1-4. 2B, K
- David Popkins (RF): 0-2, BB
- Mason Katz (2B): 0-3, K
- Nick Petree (SP): 6 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
- Get ready folks, here's what Cardinal Nation is in for in a couple of years: Cub newcomer Billy McKinney, acquired in the trade that also brought along top prospect Addison Russell, drove in three in this game, and Albert Almora, another Top 100 Cub prospect, went 4-5 and scored two runs. Kyle Schwarber? The top pick in the 2014 draft? Yeah, he's already at High-A and went 2-5 and drove in 2 runs.
- Daytona also has a first baseman named Rock Shoulders, which might be the single most appropriate name for a first baseman that I've ever heard.
- Nick Petree has 11 starts for Palm Beach and has allowed more than 2 runs in just a pair of them. Fitting that this was one of those, what with all the high end talent in the Daytona lineup.
Peoria's game against South Bend will be covered in the VEB Daily post today. Joe Schwarz was at the game and has full coverage for you later this morning.
- Darren Seferina (2B): 1-3, RBI,, BB, K
- Danny Diekroeger (2B): 1-4, 3 K
- Alex De Leon (1B): 1-4, 2 K
- Rowan Wick (RF): 1-3, K
- Brian O'Keefe (C): 1-3, R, BB
- Fernando Baez (SP): 4 IP, 5 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 6 K
- Rowan Wick Dinger Watch: None
- The, uh, Wick has lost the flame a bit the last week or so. At least in terms of near daily big fly into the seats.
- After spending the last two seasons pitching out of the DSL Cardinal and Johnson City bullpens, Fernando Baez started his fifth game of the year. The results so far have been mixed, but he's been able to maintain his strikeout rate while being stretched out to multi-inning duty and he has some of the best raw stuff in the organization, which may have precipitated this move. No word on whether his pitch mix has changed, perhaps someone in the comments has some information on that.
- Oscar Mercado (SS): 2-5, 2 R, 2B, HR, RBI
- Casey Turgeon (2B): 0-3, 2 BB, 2 K, SB (3)
- Casey Grayson (DH): 1-3
- Blake Drake (RF): 1-3, RBI, 2 BB, K
- Jose Godoy (C): 0-3, R, BB
- Cole Lankford (LF): 0-5, K
- Dailyn Martinez (SP): 6 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, HR
- Jonathan Escudero (RP): 1.2, 2 H, ER, BB, 3 K
- Oscar Mercado hadn't had an extra base hit in his previous 10 games but broke out of that slump in a big way yesterday out of the leadoff spot, accounting for most of the Johnson City runs.
Memphis: Tim Cooney
Springfield: Kurt Heyer
Palm Beach: Silfredo Garcia
State College: Daniel Poncedeleon
Johnson City: Landon Beck
GCL Cardinals: TBD