Adam Wainwright is in the midst of a very good season. As of Thursday, he is first in the National League in fWAR with 2.8, fourth in innings pitched with over 108, an ERA of 2.08 is good for second, and just for you, Mr. Hrabosky, has 10 wins, which is tied for first with my cousin, Alfredo Simon.*
In 2012 Waino began adding a four-seam fastball back into his repertoire and in 2013 his four-seam usage was at a career high 20.72%. This has essentially added a fourth pitch for Waino to go along with his sinker (two-seamer), cutter, and curveball. The four-seamer has done more than help diversify his arsenal, however. This change is also coupled with an increase in cutters thrown, going from 16.86% in 2012 to 28.69% in 2013. This increased usage is great for a couple of reasons: taking a similar path as his signature curveball, it is a great look to keep hitters off balance, and using the cutter more simply evens out his pitch selection, making it more difficult to guess what Adam will throw. Wainwright now has four pitches he can throw any time and any where he wants. This is devastating for hitters because when they don't know what is coming, a curveball that is already one of the best in the majors just gets tougher and tougher to hit (just ask Yasiel Puig). - Beyond the Box Score; Viva el Birdos
*not actually my cousin
Other Things Going On in Baseball...
- Some good news to start your day: Curt Schilling's cancer is in remission. - Hardball Talk
- Baseball players thank Ronaldo. - Cut4
- Even with instant replay, ejections have actually increased this year. - MLB
Also, LOL A.J. Pierzynski. - Hardball Talk
- Here is a great catch by Josh Reddick (thanks flood!). - Fox Sports
- Tim Lincecum throws a no-hitter. - McCovey Chronicles
- Here is an interesting look at great throws from over the years. - Hardball Times
- If the season ended today, where would the Cy Young and MVP go? - Sports on Earth
- The Los Angeles Angles could be interested in David Price. - MLB Daily Dish
Poor David. All these rumors are kind of bringing him down. - MLB
- Bless you, Colby Rasmus. - MLB
- Here is a look at catcher value and salary. - Beyond the Box Score
- The height of the hill changed after 1968 when someone went and posted a historic 1.12 ERA and ruined it for everyone. Did that change the game? - Hardball Times
What the Cardinals Are Up To...
- Matt Adams, to the surprise of many, is one of the better defensive first baseman in the league (thanks flood!). - Fangraphs
- Only Vin Scully can talk about bird poop and make it sound elegant and enchanting. - Cut4
- Could St. Louis's recent pitching injuries cripple their ability to make a trade? (thanks flood!) - bnd
- Joe Mauer and Matt Carpenter have similar hitting styles. I can live with that. - Beyond the Box Score
- Today is el día del gallo. And Carlos Martinez is all stretched out and ready to throw up to 100 magnificent pitches. - STL Today
- Lou Brock will be at this benefit (brought up by As You Van Slyke It in the day thread.) - Lewis and Clark Baseball
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
The NL Central
- The Brewers are on a historic pace, setting a club record with their 49th win in 81 games. - MLB
- Wrigley Field was really, really foggy Thursday. - Cut4
Milwaukee Brewers 49 32 .605 St. Louis Cardinals 43 37 .538 Cincinnati Reds 40 38 .513 Pittsburgh Pirates 40 39 .506 Chicago Cubs 33 44 .429
The Dodgers de Los Angeles
- The Dodgers have activated Juan Uribe from the DL and he played last night. - Hardball Talk
- Dee Gordon has 40 stolen bases. Will that continue with Yadier Molina behind the plate? - ESPN
Mr. Finkel does an excellent preview for us. - Viva el Birdos
For more Dodgers news, check out TBLA. - True Blue LA
Viva el Stuff...
- This fanpost looks at the potential of a David Price trade. -Viva el Birdos
- The author of this fanpost is asking for a little help. You get to talk about Giancarlo Stanton. That sounds like fun. - Viva el Birdos
- zoomzoom makes his VEB writing debut! Check out what he wrote, here! - Viva el Birdos
- I could be in trouble just for linking this. I can hear footsteps. The Paquette Sequences were supposed to be kept a secret. - Viva el Archiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
- Because I care about you all and want you to live long and healthy lives, here are some keys to living longer. - Personal Capital
- I BELIEVE THAT WE HAVE ADVANCED! Thanks, Ronaldo! World Cup brackets here. - SBNation; SBNation
|Tuesday, June 24||Cardinals||5||Rockies||10||VEB Recap||PR Recap|
|Wednesday, June 25||Cardinals||9||Rockies||6||VEB Recap||PR Recap|
|Thursday, June 26||Cardinals||0||Dodgers||1||VEB Recap||TBLA Recap|
Tonight El Gallo takes on Hyun-Jin Ryu in another late night game, with first pitch slated for 9:10pm CST. You can find the game broadcast on television on Fox Sports Midwest, SportsNet LA, or SNLA Spanish. The radio broadcast comes via KMOX 1120, 570 Fox Sports LA, and KTNQ 1020.
Remember, sending me links is encouraged! Tweet me @lil_scooter93 or e-mail me at the address in my profile!