Prior to Thursday's game, Matt Carpenter in 2014 has taken 261 total pitches for strikes out of 1014, or 25.7%. This leads the majors. 97 of those 1014 pitches have been miscalled strikes, that is, pitches that were out of the zone, but called strikes anyway. This is 9.5% and it also leads the majors. This means a whopping 37.2% of called strikes against Matt Carpenter are incorrect, which I am guessing leads the majors as well.
But it gets even more frustrating.
Carpenter had struck out looking 17 times (prior to Thursday's game), which is higher than you would like, but he still ranks behind hitters like Shin-Soo Choo and David Wright. That isn't the frustrating part. The frustrating part is that 8 of those called third strikes, or 47% of them, were not actually strikes. One could have been the worst strike called all year.
So what is poor Matt to do? Frankly, there isn't much. He has no business swinging at those pitches -
1. They are not strikes, and
2. He does not hit them well.
The only thing he can do is swing at more hittable pitches earlier in the count (and therefor take less pitches) and keep fighting the good fight. It just stinks is all. - Viva el Birdos; Viva el Birdos
What Else is Going On in Baseball...
- Chuck Conners was a true triple threat. Acting, basketball, and baseball, too. (thanks flood!) - Think Blue LA
- Here is a very informational and helpful post about how to evaluate a hitter using sabermetrics. (thanks again, flood!)- Beyond the Box Score
- Wow. 50 cent... that was... not good. - SBNation
- Ben Revere hit his first homerun... ever. - Cut4; SBNation
Here are sixteen facts about it. - Fangraphs
- This Careless Whisper thing is getting out of hand. - Cut4
- The Braves new ballpark is bring up a truckload of trouble. (thanks flood!) - SBNation
- You think Pedro Alvarez is a Cardinal killer. Jim Thome has something to say to you. - Sports on Earth
- Dr. James Andrews makes a statement on the Tommy John "epidemic" I totally had this prepared before Joe, just saying. . - ASMI
- Vin Scully narrates a Yasiel Puig batflip. Glorious. - Hardball Talk
What the Cardinals Are Up To...
- On Miklasz and Goold's "Best Podcast in Baseball" this week, they discuss whether Matheny should set a line-up based on the wishes of the GM. - STLToday
- Last night's game made me the angriest I have ever been about a managerial decision. I am still steamed about the intentional walk to Pablo Sandoval. I cannot stop being angry about it. I am just a swirling vortex of intentional walk rage that is caroming out of control. - Cards Conclave
- Just trust Mo, and it will be alright. - Cards Conclave
- Jaime Garcia is pitching well and it makes me happy. - STLToday
- Will Matheny do what he should when it comes to Oscar Taveras. - STLToday
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
The NL Central
- Khris Davis received a death threat via Twiiter. Not. Cool. - Fox Sports
- This is adorable. - Cut4
- There is a Brewers prospect on The Bachelorette. Read this. You will not regret it. - Cut4
- Cubs, man. Cubs. - Cut4
Milwaukee Brewers 32 22 .593 St. Louis Cardinals 29 25 .537 Pittsburgh Pirates 24 29 .453 Cincinnati Reds 23 29 .442 Chicago Cubs 19 32 .373
- Even though we are enemies now, I am truly happy Hunter Pence has been reunited with his scooter. - Cut4
- Obligatory. - Viva el Archives
- Tonight's game has the highest NERD score. - Fangraphs
- spants previews the Giants for us. - Viva el Birdos
- Brisbee at McCovey Chronicles previews the series. Well, sort of.
I am very sorry you feel that way, Grant. - McCovey Chronicles
- Check out their SBN site for my Giants news. - McCovey Chronicles
Viva el Stuff...
- KingDavidTheXV makes a trade proposal. - Viva el Birdos
- stlfan writes an excellent post about some Cardinal prospects. - Viva el Birdos
- Here is a look at who should be in the 2014 MLB All Star Game from RoyalTigersBird13. - Viva el Birdos
- PSCA has treated us with two fanposts this week. There is this one, which features a word association game with Curt Simmons. I took this to be made up, but with PSCA, who knows - I wouldn't put it passed him. And another one remembering Curt. - Viva el Birdos
- I am still really depressed about Thursday's game. Here is something funny that Dan wrote. - Viva el Archives
- Not-Rui drives from San Francisco to Brazil for the World Cup. - Sports Illustrated
- NHL Playoffs and NBA Playoffs. - SBNation NHL; SBNation NBA
|Tuesday, May 27||Yankees||0||Cardinals||6||VEB Ruicap||PA Recap|
|Wednesday, May 28||Yankees||7||Cardinals||4||VEB Recap||PA Recap|
|Thursday, May 29||Giants||6||Cardinals||5||VEB Recap||MC Recap|
Tonight that Cardinals look to rebound with their ace on the mound, Adam Wainwright. He opposes Madison Bumgardner (a glorious name). Game time is 7:15pm. Coverage will be available on Fox Sports Midwest, CSN-BA (whatever that is), KMOX 1120, and KNBR 680.
Tweet or e-mail me your links @lil_scooter93 or email@example.com!