On Saturday, April 26 the Cardinals took on the Pirates at Busch Stadium. But that was not all that took place on that fateful day. Earlier that day, a group of seemingly random Cardinals fans met up and partook on a thrilling and epic adventure together, one that shall be recounted at this very time. For these fans were not just any fans - they were internet people and they were attending VEB Day.
The day began for me at the newly constructed Ballpark Village. After some brief meandering, and just as thoughts of hopelessness and despair began to enter my mind, I was able to catch a glimpse of familiar faces. I ran to them, and quick introductions were made. I am pretty sure Wayne Coyne was there. There was almost a Jets versus Sharks themed dance battle between the bWARs and the fWARs, but that quickly settled down.
After a bit of waiting around, talking about the depressing Blues game from the night before among other things, we were able to go on a tour of BPV. It was amazing. I am still completely impressed by that whole concept. Genius. It was really crowded though, so we left afterwards, splitting up as some of us went to stand in the vast multitudes of people waiting to receive their Yadier Molina jersey giveaway. I cursed Molina under my breath for being so good and thrusting this curse upon us. It is probably why he did so poorly at the plate. My bad. On the way out, I made eye-contact with a security guard while we were both singing and dancing to "Pretty Young Thing". Another group of us went to get food from a small place down the road. There was a guy there playing the guitar that sort of looked like Tyler Greene, claiming it was about to get funky. There was a Michael Wacha billboard. Things got weird.
After briefly stopping somewhere else to get a drink, we arrived at the park right on time. We quickly found our seats and began discussing what our hopes for the game were. Tyler Lyons appears to be exceeding them, until he wasn't, Francisco Liriano ralphed on the mound, Kolten Wong saw no part of the field, and the game was overall a dud. Despite all that, it was still a marvelous time talking baseball with people you sort of know, and I think we all owe fink our gratitude for yet again being our social event coordinator. Even though he does it because he loves it, I still think he would appreciate the recognition. - Viva el Birdos
What Else is Going On in Baseball...
- You know, the ole live chickens in the lockers prank? - MLB Fan Cave
- Bartolo Colon... what would I do without you? - SBNation
- What teams surprised in April? - Hardball Talk
- The Cardinals are not the only team with some good players struggling out of the gate. - SBNation
- Clayton Kershaw may soon be joining the Dodgers rotation. - Hardball Talk
- We are all probably aware of the news surrounding the Los Angeles Clippers and Donald Sterling. Brisbee looks at what would have happened has this been the MLB instead of the NBA. - SBNation
- John Smoltz believes the strikezone shrinks as the game goes on, but the facts may indicate otherwise. - Beyond the Box Score
- I have never got why asking a girl to prom was such a big deal, but this is still cute. - Hardball Talk
- A runner steals home as the batter swings. Yup. - SBNation
- Here is a list of the top 150 prospect from 2014. - Minor League Ball
- How many pro-athletes are younger than you? Now you can find out! - Deadspin
- Zach Greinke has been good this April. - EPSN
- Photo day used to be so awesome (thanks flood!). - SBNation
- My local high school made headlines (maybe an exaggeration) this past week throwing two no hitters on the same day - one in baseball and one in softball. - The Alton Telegraph
- Miss you, John Axford!
What the Cardinals are Up to...
- Bernie Miklasz and Derrick Goold pretty much discuss everything you are interested in during this podcast. - STLToday
- Peter Bourjos gets benched. Well, that was quick. - Hardball Talk
- The Gateway Arch makes Busch Stadium even better. (Thank for the link, BVHeck!) - Youtube
- If you are worried about the Cards, remember, it is still early:
Oh. One more point. The last time a Cardinals team started 14-14, that team (2004) won 105 games.— Njick (@FWBluesFan) April 30, 2014
- Some quick mattematics:
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
The NL Central:
- Position player pitching! - Cut4
- The Brewers have been playing well and oh my gosh Kyle Lohse in this Jonathan Lucroy tweet. - Grantland
- Bad news for the Brew Crew as they will be shutting down reliever Jim Henderson with a shoulder injury. - Hardball Talk
- Oh, Joey Votto - always getting his homeruns robbed by Carlos Gomez. - Hardball Talk
- Billy Hamilton leaves a game after spraining his... knuckles? Really... That seems odd. - MLB
- More bad news for the Reds: Tony Cingrani will hit the DL. - Hardball Talk
Milwaukee Brewers 20 9 .690 St. Louis Cardinals 15 14 .517 Cincinnati Reds 13 15 .464 Pittsburgh Pirates 10 18 .357 Chicago Cubs 9 17 .346
The Chicago Cubs:
- Fink previews the Cubbies for us. And May. He likes previewing. - Viva el Birdos
- For more Cubs info, visit their SBNation blog. - Bleed Cubbie Blue
Viva el Stuff...
- Kolten Wong's Demotion Makes Little Sense, and mattybobo conveys this in a clever way. - Viva el Birdos
- Don't forget to sign up for Viva el Run.Donations are welcome! - Viva el Birdos
- PSCA does his thing and tell us about interesting historical occurrence. - Viva el Birdos
- Hopefully flood's plea to the GOB do not fall on deaf ears. - Viva el Birdos
- How many homeruns can Albert Pujols hit? stlfan investigates. - Viva el Birdos
- dr. howl continues his projections with the St. Louis Cardinals. - Viva el Birdos
- As Pujols hit another milestone last week, it is only natural to think what might have been. A few years ago, bhg did just that. - Viva el Archives
- If you did happen to miss our AMA with Chris Rivera, you can still check out his answers here! - Viva el Birdos
- Don't forget to check out Tuesday's links! - Viva el Birdos
- The Blues lost in disappointing fashion and are now eleminated from the playoffs. To follow the rest of the playoffs, you can check out the SBNation NHL home. - SBNation
- The NBA playoffs are in full swing. Mr. Unreliable Kevin Durant stepped up in a big way for the Thunder to push a game seven, and the Pacers stay alive to force a game 7 for their series. - SBNation
- For the soccer fans among us, you can hopefully find all your soccer info here. - SBNation
|Tuesday, April 29||Brewers||5||Cardinals||4||Recap|
|Wednesday, April 30||Brewers||3||Cardinals||9||Recap|
This afternoon at 1:20pm the Card are set to take on the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley. Adam Wainwright will be on the hill for the Birds, opposing Travis Wood for the Baby Bears. Coverage is available on Fox Sports Midwest, MLB Network, CSN and broadcast on the radio on KMOX 1120 and WGN 720.
Remember you can send me links by tweeting me @lil_scooter93 or e-mailing me at email@example.com!