The Cardinals and the Shortstop: A never ending courtship
... Also known as the boyfriend of five years that you should have dumped after 12 months. He has a great personality, so you convince yourself that the relationship is actually going somewhere, but its going on four years and you start to wonder what you saw in him to begin with. Yeah, you went to some awesome concerts together, took many memorable road trips and have tons of great memories, but you realize it wasn't actually him that made the concerts fun or the trips interesting.
Bitterly, you remember the chance you had with Jurickson Profar, but you blew it because you couldn't work out the long distance relationship. And now he is dating some lawyer that looks just like you. You had a chance at a one night stand with J.J. Hardy, but you don't just put out Shelby Miller unless you know he is the one. You even feigned interest in José Reyes, but everyone knew he wasn't really available, and besides, all his exes said he was abusive. So you start seeing Jhonny Peralta on the side - he is rich and successful, but deep down you know he has a history with drugs and he just isn't a long term solution. You wonder if that cute guy from Colorado is still available. He isn't reliable and he skips out for a month or two at a time, but Troy Tulowitzki just seems to be the complete package - he is talented, witty, and knows his way around the bases. But he is too perfect. There is no way someone like you could get with a shortstop like that. Not even dangling Shelby Miller could seduce Tulo away from that control freak, the Rockies. So you ogle him from afar, wonder what could have been and think about how much better you would treat him and how cute you would look together.
"Will I ever find 'The One'? Do I even deserve him?" you ask as you watch Daniel Descalso on the field after a double switch, the ball slowly rolling past his outstretched glove to score a run, "Maybe I should keep playing the field."
Written with the combined efforts of guayzimi, YesWeOquendo, pattimagee, azta, and cschpers. - Viva el Birdos
What Else Is Going On in Baseball...
- A pitcher and his shortstop. Basically, finding a good shortstop is hard, so when you do find one, you hold on tight, man. You don't let him slip away. - SB Nation
- Things are getting serious. Albert Pujols is six home runs shy of 500 and might challenge the record. - Sports on Earth; MLB
- This is a very well done and interesting article about the many type of baseball fans. (Thanks to flood for sending me this!) - Bless You Boys
- Here is an article about some video game you silly boys keep talking about... - Sports on Earth; SB Nation
- The new replay system has upheld around 60% of the calls, which is technically an F for a student, Umpires, just saying. - Beyond the Box Score
- Bud Selig called Hank Aaron the "Home Run King", whatever that even means anymore. - Hardball Talk; McCovey Chronicles
- Vin Scully. Hank Aaron. Broken Records. Beauty. Majesty. Grace. - Cut4
- The Big Hurt smells a big conspiracy. - Hardball Talk
- Fangraphs looks at how pitching tools translate to the majors. No .gifs, unfortunately. - Fangraphs
- This is just one of my favorite baseball moments ever. Sorry. It isn't really relevent to anything - Cut4
What the Cardinals Are Up To...
- Quick, guess who is the Cardinals active leader in stolen bases? Hint: He is also the active leader in thrown out base stealers. "To overtake Brock he will have to maintain his current pace for the next 170 seasons", is probably may favorite line of the whole article. - Sports on Earth
- Out of all active players, who has the most stolen bases with the Cardinals? (May need to scroll down to find the question and answer) - MLB Trivia
- Here is a look at the Cardinals top 20 prospects for 2014. - Minor League Ball
- Matt Carpenter leads the league with 54 called strikes against him, which may be something to keep an eye on during the year. - Baseball Savant
- Cards Conclave is asking for some feedback. You could win a Game 6 BluRay/DVD combo pack for your troubles. - Cards Conclave
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
The NL Central
- WE GET IT! Billy Hamilton is fast. - Cut4; SB Nation
- Uhg. It is really difficult not to like Joey Votto. - Cut4
- Jonathan Lucroy is one of those sneaky good players that you tend to forget about. (Thanks, flood!) - Peter Gammons
- The Brewers made their own video to Pharrell's song "Happy". At first I thought it was going to be stupid, but I'll be darned if I wasn't smiling when they showed that adorable dog. Also relevant: What ever happened to the awesome Cardinals commercials?! - Hardball Talk
|St. Louis Cardinals||5||4||.556|
The Chicago Cubs (Arpil 11, 12, 13)
Viva el Stuff...
- Oh dear, the Blues... Check out their SB Nation site for more information (most likely profanity riddled, based on the past few weeks) on what they are up to. I can't do it. - St. Louis Game Time
- spants has alerted me to the fact that the new Veronica Mars book is an audiobook... and Kristin Bell is the narrator... and she does all the voices! - Entertainment Weekly
|Tuesday, April 8||Reds||5||Cardinals||7||Recap|
|Wednesday, April 9||Reds||4||Cardinals||0||Recap|
Tonight the Cardinals take on the rival Cubs at Busch at 7:15pm. The start tonight will feature some you arms as the Cardinals' "Machine Gun/Bazooka/Dancin'/Googles/Deadfish Handshakin'/Houdini" Joe Kelly with square up against Jeff Samajkdfjoa, Notre Dame alumnus, of the Cubs. The game will be broadcast on televsion on Fox Sports Midwest and CSN in Chicago and on the radio on KMOX 1120 and WGN 720.
Remember, you can send me links and such via Twitter, @lil_scooter93 and at my e-mail, email@example.com!