I, among others, became enamored with the story of the young girl (I later discovered her name is Amelia) crying when the Blue Jays traded her favorite player, Brett Lawrie, to Oakland. As someone who knows the heartbreak of trades all too well (I will never forget you, David Freese!) I empathized with this poor girl. I also felt a little bad that her trauma was plastered all over the internet.
But sometimes a little heartbreak is necessary to achieve our dreams. You go girl!
I'm sure u guys all remember seeing this little girl on YouTube about me leaving the jays so I thot I'd surprise her pic.twitter.com/AUNyRloTgi— Brett Lawrie (@blawrie13) December 12, 2014
very very cool pick of me and Ameilia :):) pic.twitter.com/W4FyEZRjoW— Brett Lawrie (@blawrie13) December 12, 2014
I just love a happy ending!
(Shout out to flood and Overlord for knowing I love this story and sending me links to it!)
what else is going on in baseball...
- The Rays, Nationals, and Padres complete an eleven player trade. - MLB
- Matt Kemp to the Padres was on hold as news broke of his creaky, arthritic hips. - Sports Illustrated
- Just kidding, the deal is back on and finalized. - MLB
- And the Padres seem really excited, guys:
And... It's official: http://t.co/JoOmeEjiy2 pic.twitter.com/rFNaC2NUxv— San Diego Padres (@Padres) December 19, 2014
Make sure to have your volume up! https://t.co/55FZSHoyQ7— San Diego Padres (@Padres) December 19, 2014
The Dodgers officially acquire Yasmani Grandal, Joe Wieland and Zach Eflin from @Padres for Matt Kemp, Tim Federowicz & cash considerations.— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) December 19, 2014
- More hot stove (as of 12:57am):
AL Source: Braves appear to be down the road on a deal sending Justin Upton to an AL West club for a package headlined by young pitching.— Kiley McDaniel (@kileymcd) December 19, 2014
- Where is Justin Upton going, though? - Talking Chop
- Oh, the Padres? Okay. - Talking Chop
- Kris Medlen is a Royal.
.@Royals sign RHP Kris Medlen to 2-year deal with mutual option for 2017. #HotStove— MLBRosterMoves (@MLBRosterMoves) December 18, 2014
- Edinson Volquez is a Royal. - Bucs Dugout
- So Wil Myers was traded. - Fangraphs
- Mark Grace is going to jail. - AZ Central
- Jake Peavy is still a Giant. (That made me giggle for some reason.) - McCovey Chronicles
what the cardinals are up to...
Yes indeed pic.twitter.com/zsS2fLfKHm— Matt Carpenter (@MattCarp13) December 17, 2014
- Fox Sports Midwest will re-air some of our favorite games on December 25. - STL Today
- Mike Matheny will wear number 26 to honor a young friend who passed away. - Mike Matheny
- Trevor Rosenthal will wear 44.
Update to #stlCards jersey numbers: MGR Mike Matheny will wear # 26. RHP Trevor Rosenthal switches from 26 to 44. pic.twitter.com/iHv1h82eLF— MLB Jersey Numbers (@NumbersMLB) December 17, 2014
- And before you make THAT joke:
Thanks to #FireMatheny taking number 26 now Rosenthal will look more like Isringhausen with number 44 than ever. Walking batters and all.— Stl Cards Strong (@StlCardsStrong) December 18, 2014
Rosenthal is becoming more like Isringhausen every day // MT "@Cardinals: @TrevRosenthal will now wear uniform number #44"— Scott Perdue (@scottperdue) December 17, 2014
Rosenthal will be wearing the same number that Isringhausen did while closing for the Cardinals. After Rosie's 2014 season, it's fitting.— Jon Doble (@JonDoble) December 17, 2014
Trevor Rosenthal will be wearing Jason Isringhausen's old number because of course he is. #RunnersOnBase #ThrowStrikes— Erik Manning (@Erik_Manning) December 17, 2014
Only seems right that Rosenthal changes his number to Izzy's old #44.— Kevin Munie (@KMunie7) December 17, 2014
Rosenthal will now be officially in "Izzy mode" by wearing #44.— CrashDavis (@CrashDavis_16) December 17, 2014
I think we all get the- Et tu, Overlord?
#Izzy MT @LangoschMLB: With Mike Matheny taking No. 26, #stlcards closer Trevor Rosenthal will now wear No. 44, Carlos Martinez's old number— Ben (@b_g_h) December 17, 2014
- I seriously want to steal Jason Heyward's dog.
First time in 3yrs he's worn clothes lol pic.twitter.com/KJ2zuRbibJ— jheytwotwo (@JasonHeyward) December 18, 2014
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
.@Brewers acquire INF/OF Matt Long, LHP Jarret Martin from @Dodgers for catcher Shawn Zarraga.— MLBRosterMoves (@MLBRosterMoves) December 18, 2014
viva el stuff...
- "Where will the 2015 Cardinals be in terms of runs scored?" jlma asks in this fanpost. - Viva el Birdos
- Sometimes "interested" just means "eh, might as well ask". - Viva el Birdos
- Our own Joe Schwarz headed over to Game Time to write some thoughts about the boy wonder that is Vladimir Tarasenko. - St. Louis Game Time
- Is there a link between chronic brain injury and suicide? - FiveThirtyEight
- The U.S. will bid to host the 2024 Olympics. - CBS
- The Colbert Report is over after a
sevennine (has it really been seven? - nope, nine actually) year run. Here are some of his best sports moments. - Sports Illustrated
- The Blues defeated the Kings then lost to the Kings. - St. Louis Game Time
- The Rams take on the New York Football Giants this Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome. - Turf Show Times