Monday night marked our annual VEB Winter Meet-up, better known as VEB Winter Meetings. We use these meet-ups as an opportunity to get to know the faces behind the computer around here. We also use these meet-ups as an excuse to drink beer (or hard cider in some cases) and play shuffleboard.
Here were the items on the agenda:
- The Continental was wearing an amazing holiday sweater
- Fink was in his winter hair so his Mark Ellis-ness was much subdued
- Fritz left early to pick up a hot ham and cheese from IMO's
- Dogtown is a rather nice area
- Hatts for Matts and I nearly completed the comeback to take down Joe Schwarz and Drew Silva in shuffleboard, but fell just short
- In perhaps one of the greatest comebacks in history, Fink and I defeated Joe and Drew in shuffleboard
- Fink and I were defeated by Mrs. Fink and Spants in shuffleboard - the final score isn't important
- A recap of last meeting's events
- A recap of my getting lost trying to go to last meeting's events
what else is going on in baseball...
- Is pitch framing important? - Beyond the Box Score
- Here is a team comprised of only players that moved during Winter Meetings. - Sports on Earth
- Madison Bumgarner was Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the Year. You can check out his acceptance speech here. - MLB Fancave
- Remember that poor girl that cried when Brett Lawrie was traded to the As? Well look:
I'm sure u guys all remember seeing this little girl on YouTube about me leaving the jays so I thot I'd surprise her pic.twitter.com/AUNyRloTgi— Brett Lawrie (@blawrie13) December 12, 2014
More on this story Friday.
- White Sox sign Melky Cabrera. - Hardball Talk
- And he was just the team's most recent acquisition. - SBNation
- Former White Sox Mark Gilbert is now the U.S. Ambassador to New Zealand. - Cut4
- Don't forget about Allen Craig. - MLB
- Joe Kelly won the MLB Network Social Media Award for Best Selfie. Check out his acceptance speech:
- Chase Headley is still a Yankee. - MLB
- Viva el Rumors. - SBNation
- The Braves are losing in their own stadium drawings. - SBNation
- Michael Morse, also known as my muse, is signing with the Marlins. - Sports Illustrated
- Chase Utley goes on The Ellen Show and surprises this Phillies fan fighting cancer. - SBNation
what the cardinals are up to...
- Rumor has it:
The #STLCards say they are NOT active suitors for Max Scherzer. Too expensive for their taste.— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) December 14, 2014
- This is a very interesting article on Oliver Marmol, a manager in the Cardinals system. - MLB
- Mark Reynolds is a Cardinal. Bernie gives his take. - STLToday
- Derrick Goold does his weekly chat. Here are the cliffnotes. - STL Today
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Could Colby Rasmus be a Cub? - Hardball Talk
- The Brewers are putting "The Selig Experience" in their museum at Miller Park and it was inspired by an Abraham Lincoln exhibit. - Hardball Talk