'Twas the day of the postseason and all through St. Lou
The city was humming; there is so much to do!
And it happened so quickly, just a matter of days.
The children of St. Louis open their school books
But they think not of school work, just Wainwright hooks.
Holliday, Carp, Adams - a triple Matt Attack
And Descalso at shortstop - WAIT TAKE THAT BACK!
Peralta mans shortstop, in center patrols Jay
Unless, somehow, Peter Bourjos gets to play.
Yadi behind the plate, for pitches must be caught
So remember no stealing for THOU SHALT NOT.
You can tell it is October, because the autumn chills blows,
Busch Stadium's rocking, and the champagne flows.
This time of year, baseball just seems right
As the game plays on into the dark, chilly night.
Appreciate these times, for they are a rare treat
Some teams know only the agony of defeat.
The day is upon us, the postseason is here!
Only one verse more, I swear, don't fear.
The Cards in the postseason, how good does that feel?
I feel like puking. It is almost here, almost real.
So let's end this poem, there is only one true way:
It is October in St. Louis and there is baseball to play.
what else is going on in baseball...
- The Giants and Nationals are set to square off in the re-match that never was. Errr... sorry about that. - ESPN
- The Diamondbacks interview some people. - Hardball Talk
- Ben Affleck, a diehard Red Sox fan (ew), refused to wear a Yankees hat in Gone Girl. - SBNation
- Adam Dunn, TTO King, retires. Mark Reynolds bows to his leader. - ESPN
- Manny Machado throws out the first pitch for the Orioles. - SBNation
- You should check out this lovely article on Greg Maddux. - SBNation
- Jose Fernandez is throwing baseballs! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! - Hardball Talk; MLB
- How clutch was that Jarrod Dyson stolen base, though. - Fangraphs
- A great call of the Royals walkoff. - Awful Announcing
- Ned Yost on his pitching choices. - Deadspin
- Josh Hamilton is confident about playing in the ALDS Opener. - Sports Illustrated
- Please do not commit crimes. There is baseball to be watched. - SBNation
- Set Joe Mauer on fire. - Twinkie Town
- Strengths and weakness of every postseason team. - Fangraphs
- What. A. Game. - SBNation
Love @GeorgeHBrett's reaction. #WildCard pic.twitter.com/qPeJpBlgtJ— MLB Fan Cave (@MLBFanCave) October 1, 2014
By our count: Time between Royals postseason wins: 10,565 days, 42 minutes— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) October 1, 2014
what the cardinals are up to...
"He thrives on those bigstage opportunities and that's exactly where he'll be tomorrow." -Matheny on Wainwright— St. Louis Cardinals (@Cardinals) October 2, 2014
The handsomest cover of them all: pic.twitter.com/32ZarnJFRd— Heather Simon (@lil_scooter93) September 30, 2014
KNOW THINE ENEMY
the nl central
- This adorable Pirates fan somehow ended up in the Giants dugout. - Sports Illustrated; SBNation
- Russell Martin is a free agent. - Hardball Talk
- Look at this cute, little kid! - SBNation
- Aww man, though. - Deadspin
- The man behind the Pirates analytics department. - TribLive
the los angeles dodgers
Don Mattingly says Ryu will start Game 3 for the Dodgers...— Bernie Miklasz (@miklasz) October 2, 2014
This video of Jack Clark's 1985 NLCS HR features Ozzie, Willie, Red, Whitey, Vince Coleman, & Tommy LaSorda: http://t.co/ND3WfNv3fO— Ben (@b_g_h) October 2, 2014
- Hyun-jin Ryu will start game three for the Dodgers. - True Blue LA
- TBLA does a Q&A with our site manager, Ben Humphrey. - True Blue LA
- A look at Clayton Kershaw, the best pitcher in baseball. - Viva el Birdos
- Aaron and David have been doing a live discussion for us all week. Check it out here! - Viva el Birdos
- Fink does this excellent preview. - Viva el Birdos
- An unbiased preview, probably. - SBNation
viva el stuff...
- Some great fanposts this week! Check them out!
pieper loves Pete Kozma. Here is why. - Viva el Birdos
Buddassuperlongusername38 write about his favorite possible World Series matchups. - Viva el Birdos
nathan.degraaf gives out some awards in this clever post. - Viva el Birdos
Ben Cerutti updates us on how his projections went. - Viva el Birdos
- This is one of my favorite things I have ever written. Check it out here. - Viva el Birdos
- Fink writes about the at bats the won the division for the Cards. - Viva el Birdos
- There is only one thing left to do. Drink. - Viva el Birdos
- The flattest states in the union, because apparently we care about this at Viva el Birdos. - National Geographic
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Wainwright. Kershaw. Tonight. 5:37 pm CST. Let's. Do. This.