On Monday, John Mozeliak and Mike Matheny sat down for a press conference to discuss the season. During that conference they appointed Jon Jay as the starter in center field for 2015. Seeing as the season just ended nearly eighty-four hours earlier this sort of announcement caught most of us by surprise.
Viva el Birdos went into a tizzy. Jay supporters on one side, Peter Bourjos supporters on the other. It wasn't pretty.
What side are you on?
what else is going on in baseball...
- Which team should you root for? - Cut4
- World Series predictions. - ESPN
- And a preview. - Hardball Talk
- Why the Royals will win. - SBNation
- Major League Baseball thanks the fans.
We couldn't do it without you. Thank you, fans. https://t.co/ptSYP4XVWe— MLB (@MLB) October 21, 2014
- The Twins final managerial candidates. - Hardball Talk
- Mo'ne for manager! - Cut4
- Viva el Marlins Fan! - SBNation
- The Giants starters in the World Series. - Sports on Earth
- Big Game James Shields? - SBNation
- The World Series ratings are terrible this year, but that is a blessing, not a curse. - Mad em Dashes
- Park size kind of matters. - Business Insider
- Wade Davis's wife tipped World Series tickets, which is really cool. - Hardball Talk
- The Royals won the pennant. Now how are we supposed to feel? (Thanks, flood!) - Grantland
- Hunter Strickland is having a pretty rough postseason. - ESPN
- The Diamondbacks hire a new assistant general manager. - SBNation
- Homeland Security confiscates Royals bloomers (note: no apostrophe). - Sports Illustrated
- I love you, Salvy. - Cut4
- Check out this cute "All About that Bass" video featuring Giants and Royals players. - Royals Review
what the cardinals are up to...
- Adam Wainwright is perfection and I love him.
Before this World Series begins I want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart to all of Cardinal Nation. Already looking frwd to 2015— Adam Wainwright (@UncleCharlie50) October 21, 2014
- The Sporting News named Jhonny Peralta the top shortstop in 2014. - STLToday
- Don Denkinger recalls his infamous call. - MLB
- Check out this Kolten Wong baseball card. (Thanks, flood!) - Topps
- Adam Wainright and Yadier Molina are gold glove finalists.
St. Louis Cardinals (@Cardinals) October 23, 2014
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
viva el stuff...
- The Cardinals played in a lot of one-run games. dr. howl looks at them all. - Viva el Birdos
- blindmouse is unhappy with Mike Matheny. Read why here. - Viva el Birdos
- Jeff Gordon gives out some player grades and they are... not great, Bob. - Viva el Birdos
- jdogg is dreaming about the Cardinals outfield. - Viva el Birdos
- Bill DeWitt expects payroll to increase in the upcoming years. - Viva el Birdos
- The yearly prediction contest results are in! - Viva el Birdos
- If you missed the press conference, I collected some of the highlights here. - Viva el Birdos
- The Viva el Birdos podcast episode 7 is out! - Viva el Podcast
- Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo shaved his head in support of his niece who is fighting cancer.
- The Blues drop their game against the Canucks 4-1 Thursday night. - St. Louis Game Time
- Kenny Britt beats his chest as the Rams defeat the Seahawks Sunday. - NFL