The Cardinals cannot win the World Series every year.
I know. It seems improbable, but I have run the numbers and it looks like this checks out.
Being eliminated in the postseason sucks. It just does. "Well at least the Cardinals made it to the postseason?" you might say, and to you, I would say, "Yes, you have a point." But the truth is, postseason elimination is just much more jarring than being eliminated in the regular season.
As a Rams fan, I know quite a lot about getting eliminated in the regular season, and I assume for baseball it is similar. In this case you typically have some time to get used to the idea of no more baseball. Then the team rides into the sunset to conclude another year, maybe after showcasing some future talent, and then the season ends. But you are already at peace and prepared because you knew this would happen long ago.
But in the postseason, the idea of the season ending is pretty much sprung on without warning. Yes, during an elimination game the possibility of the season's end is in your mind, but deep down in your heart you don't truly believe it is about to all be over. And then it does and you sit there staring at a wall in your living room in your pajamas wrapped up in your Cardinal fleece blanket thinking "Now what?"
Is it truly better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all? The conclusion of the season was a sudden and painful NLCS exit, but I would rather it have happened that way than not happen at all - I just doesn't feel so great right now.
what else is going on in baseball...
- The World Series schedule. - SBNation
- The Giants will represent the National League in the World Series. And apparently that is not good for rating. - Hardball Talk
- Joe Buck didn't stand a chance. - SBNation
- Lorenzo Cain, MLB's newest star. - Fangraphs
- Madison Bumgarner is the NLCS MVP, because apparently choosing Mike Matheny would be "in bad taste". - SBNation
- New manger for the Texas Rangers. - SBNation
what the cardinals are up to...
- An investigation into Adam Wainwright. - Fangraphs
- Reminiscing about the 2004 NLCS. - Sports on Earth
- I think we need this today:
<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=19998633&topic_id=6479266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>
- Ahh... back when the thought of Mike Matheny didn't make you want scream in anger.
- This image of Jon Jay carrying like five bats while a forlorn Oscar Taveras looks at the ground is burned into my brain. - STLToday
KNOW THINE ENEMY...
the nl central
- Looking at the Cubs White Walkers. - Fangraphs
- The Pirates look to extend QO to Russell Martin. - Bucs Dugout
- Aramis Ramirez wants to stay in Milwaukee. - Brew Crew Ball
viva el stuff...
- Adam Wainwright is a dad gum hero. Thanks for this, CrimsonStorm94. - Viva el Birdos
- MooseMichaels is looking towards the off season. - Viva el Birdos
- The Overlord recommends this article on greatest world series never played. - Viva el Birdos
- Joe Kelly's tweets were probably one of the best things about the postseason. - Viva el Birdos
- Don't forget to check out Viva el Birdos founder Larry Borowsky's article on racial tensions in St. Louis and the role of the Cardinals. - Viva el Birdos
- The Cardinals lost and T.J. Oshie didn't score in a shootout... I was surprised the sun rose this morning, frankly. Blues lose 1-0 to the L.A. Kings. - St. Louis Game Time
|Tuesday, October 17||Cardinals||4||Giants||5||VEB Recap||McC Recap|
|Wednesday, October 18||Cardinals||4||Giants||6||VEB Recap||McC Recap|
|Thursday, October 19||Cardinals||3||Giants||6||VEB Recap||McC Recap|
The links are a little sparse this week, because well, you know...
It has been a great providing links for you all this season! Remember, you can send me links by tweeting me @lil_scooter93 or e-mailing me at email@example.com.