[ed]lboros was on the run so I've posted the gamethread on his behalf. I just checked my email, sorry if I'm a tad tardy.
only twice in a 10-year career has brett tomko posted a better-than-league-average era --- 1997 (his rookie season) and 2004. but to look at his list of comps at Baseball Prospectus, you'd think he's an all-star: jim lonborg, ron darling, doyle alexander, brett saberhagen, and rick wise all make the top 20. he has made 4 quality starts in 6 outings this year.
a few quick hits:
- according to yahoo's tim brown, the buy/sell point on jeff weaver should be about $2m; if they're asked to pick up any more of that salary, pass. some of us might say "pass" in any case . . . .
- if weaver doesn't work out, here's another ex-cardinal pitcher who's available. . . .
- yankee fans are feeling our pain --- 8 games down already and floundering. but the yanks have outscored their opponents by 25 runs; the cards have been outscored by 49.
- danup examines the only bright spot on this year's team.
- erik peeks at sleeper prospect luke gregerson.