Update [2007-1-29 17:15:49 by lboros]: preston wilson re-signs with the cards; 1-yr deal. here's the official press release. [end update]
the only real news this morning is bing devine's passing; tom wheatley wrote yesterday and again today about devine's career and his weighty impact on st louis baseball, and erik's post yesterday listed some of devine's most famous trades; i'd also recommend this old article from the Hardball Times naming the 1960s cardinals as perhaps the greatest trade-built team in history. and of course there are devine's memoirs, ghostwritten by the p-d's wheatley.
i had an opportunity to interview devine a year and a half ago, in the very early days of this blog; here are the links (part 1 and part 2) if you want to read or re-read that Q+A. i just looked back over the transcript, and a couple of his statements jumped out. first, i asked for his opinion of what qualities made walt jocketty so successful as a gm. devine's answer:
peace on ya, sir.
a few other small items of note:
- los venados son muertos: troy cate's mazatlan team got swept out of the mexican pacific league finals. he never took the mound again after his rough outing in game 1 of the series (described here). overall this winter (including playoffs), cate went 3-2 in 8 starts; he threw 56.1 innings overall and had the same number of strikeouts as baserunners allowed (51). his era was 1.92. cate turned 26 in october --- he's older than wainwright and reyes --- so if he's gonna have a career he'd better get on with it. if he keeps pitching like he did over the last 12 months, the guy's still got a shot.
- get ready for VEB fantasy baseball. the call for owners just went up on saturday, and already there's enough interest for nearly two full leagues. i'm very tempted to join, but i know myself too well --- if i own a team i won't get a lick of work done, and eventually i'll go broke and they'll cut off my internet service. however, i will see if i can come up with some worthwhile swag for the league winner(s).
- frequent VEB commenter sjoshi hates all 30 major league teams, beginning with the cardinals.
- miklasz adds some stray details about the weaver talks --- the cards' top one-year offer was $5m of guaranteed money, plus (unspecified) incentives. no words from weaver himself in the article, although scott boras chimes in. [shaking head] scott boras . . . . oh, by the way: i am reminded that Rev Halofan, my SB Nation brother over at Halos Heaven, called the outcome of the weaver "drama" nearly a month ago; details here.
- just last week we had some lively discussion at VEB about lary sorensen; yesterday the detroit news wrote about his battle with alcoholism. dude has paid a high price; you gotta root for him to put things back together. as you might recall, the player for whom sorenson was once traded, lonnie smith, had some demons of his own --- chronicled just a couple months ago.
- new york is still aching from yadi molina's homer three months ago --- but no hard feelings. the new york times writes lovingly of the molina family manse in vega alta, puerto rico.
- mark buehrle is tired of hearing about his future with the cardinals, and tired of people talking sh*t about him on the internet.