A daily recap of the minor league players in the Cardinals' farm system.
Memphis 2, Tucson 1 (10 innings)
- Mike O'Neill was 2-for-4 to start his AAA career.
- Kolten Wong was 2-for-4.
- Oscar Taveras -- still injured -- has really had a lost season. With the weak performance by Jon Jay this year, that's a big miss for the organizations top prospect. There's almost no reason to think that Taveras isn't still the organizations top prospect, however. Shelby Miller provides a good example of how a top prospect can have a down or disappointing season but it's important to remember the totality of their work. Miller's 2012 in Memphis was forgettable until the very end of the season but he's had a stellar rookie season in the bigs.
- Boone Whiting tossed 5 innings allowing 1 run on 5 hits. He struck out 1 and walked 2.
- Sam Freeman picked up the win with scoreless 9th and 10th innings. He walked 1.
Springfield 3, Arkansas 5
- Stephen Piscotty was 2-for-4 with a double.
- Zach Petrick suffered his first turbulent start since transitioning from relief. He pitched 3.1 innings allowing 5 runs on 6 hits and walking 2.
- Heath Wyatt saved the bullpen with 3.2 scoreless innings of relief. The defense played a large role too as Wyatt recorded all 11 outs in play and needed just 27 pitches to do it.
- Kevin Thomas struck out 2 in a scoreless 8th.
Palm Beach 3, Clearwater 2
- Ronny Gil was 2-for-4 and the only player with 2 hits on the night.
- Both Jacob Wilson and Jonathan Rodriguez drew 2 walks but went hitless in their 2 at bats.
- Kurt Heyer pitched 6 solid innings of baseball. He struck out 2 and walked 2 while allowing 1 run on 3 hits.
- Dean Kiekhefer picked up a 3 inning save allowing 1 run on 4 hits. He struck out 1.
Peoria 3, Quad Cities 5 (7 innings)
- Nick Martini was 2-for-3.
- Bruce Caldwell, just called up from State College, was 1-for-3 with a double and a walk.
- Ben O'Shea allowed 4 runs in 4.1 innings. He struck out 3 but walked 2 and allowed 5 hits.
- Sam Tuivailala struck out 3 in 1.2 innings of work. He allowed 1 run on 2 hits and a walk.
Peoria 1, Quad Cities 2 (7 innings)
- Nick Martini was 2-for-2 with a walk and a double.
- Jordan Walton was 0-for-1 but walked twice.
- Chris Perry struck out 8 in 5 innings of work. He allowed 1 run on 4 hits and a walk. Perry has been a pronounced flyball pitcher but shown good strikeout-to-walk ratios.
State College 4, Tri-City 1
- Luis Perez, LF, was 2-for-3.
- Brett Wiley, 2B, was 2-for-3.
- Kevin Herget pitched 5.2 innings allowing 1 run on 4 hits. He struck out 4.
- Jacob Booden picked up the save with 2 shutout innings. He struck out 2 and allowed 1 hit.
Johnson City 3, Kingsport 6