The trimmed down version of Matt Adams. - USA TODAY Sports
A daily recap of the minor league players in the Cardinals system.
The top prospects start to filter back down to the minor league games. Some big pitching names taking the mound today.
Memphis 4, Las Vegas 4
Michael Wacha allowed 1 walk and 1 hit over 3 innings. He struck out 4. The question seems to be whether Wacha will start at Springfield or Memphis given his impressive spring training.
- Barrett Browning was lit up for for 3 runs (2 earned) on 4 hits and 3 walks in 1 inning. He struck out 1.
- Kevin Siegrist allowed a hit and a walk while striking out 1 in 2 innings of work.
- Jamie Romak went 2-for-4 with a double and a walk.
- Starlin Rodriguez was 1-for-4 with a double. Rodriguez is likely slated for a starting position on the Springfield squad after an impressive year at Palm Beach where he hit for a .375 wOBA.
Springfield 2, Binghamton 2
- Scott McGregor allowed 3 hits in 3 scoreless innings. He struck out 1.
- Seth Blair had another walkless outing. He threw 3 innings allowing 3 hits and 2 runs while striking out 4.
- Dean Kiekhefer allowed a hit and struck out 1 in 2 innings pitched.
- Jesus Montero was 2-for-2.
Tyler Rahmatulla was 1-for-3. Rahmatulla remains one of my favorite down draft prospects. He's got to work to reclaim his momentum after a truly awful half season in Palm Beach.
- Stephen Piscotty was 1-for-4.
Palm Beach 8, St. Lucie 4
- Kyle Hald showed an unusual lack of control walking 4 in 2.1 innings. He allowed 4 runs on 5 hits while striking out 2. Hald is just shy of a 5:1 K:BB ratio in the minors in 190+ innings.
- Tim Cooney struck out 4 in 3 innings allowing 2 hits and 1 walk.
- Hector Hernandez struck out 3 in 2 innings. He walked 1.
- C.J. McElroy was 3-for-4 with a triple.
- Breyvic Valera was 2-for-3 with a walk.
- Carson Kelly was 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Jeremy Schaffer was 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles.
- Jordan Walton was 2-for-4 with a double and a home run.
Peoria 3, Savannah 4
- Tyrell Jenkins walked 3 in 2.1 innings and allowed 4 hits. He escaped allowing just 1 earned run and struck out 1.
- Silfredo Garcia struck out 4 in 2.2 innings of work. He allowed 3 runs on 3 hits and 2 walks. Garcia posted some eye-popping numbers in the Gulf Coast League and Johnson City last year after two mediocre efforts in 2010 & 2011. Watch to see if he can continue the strikeouts in 2013.
- Yunier Castillo allowed 1 walk in 2 scoreless frames.
- Michael Swinson was 3-for-4 with a pair of stolen bases. I don't think Swinson's bat will get him to the majors but he's a lot of fun to watch play. He's a burner on the bases.
- Roman Wick was 1-for-2 with a triple and a walk.
Squad #1 6, Squad #2 5
- Ben O'Shea struck out 2 and walked 2 in 3 innings of work. He allowed 2 hits and 1 earned run.
- Jeff Rauh allowed 2 unearned runs on 4 hits in 2 innings. He struck out 3.
- Norge Paredes allowed 1 unearned run on 2 hits and 2 walks while striking out 2 in 2 frames of work.
- David Washington was 4-for-5 with a triple and a home run.
- Johan Acevedo was 2-for-5 with a walk.
- Cesar Valera was 2-for-5.
- Gary Apelian was 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles.
- Max Foody allowed 4 hits in 2.2 innings for 3 earned runs. He walked 1.
- Anderson Gerdel was perfect for 3 innings striking out 2.
- Garrett Wittels -- another recent convert to pitching -- struck out 3 in 2 innings. He allowed 2 runs (1 earned) on 1 hit and 2 walks.
- Brett Wiley was 2-for-3. He collected 8 bases with a home run, triple and a walk.
- Rafael Medina was 2-for-4.