When it comes to Latin American signings, Ben Badler is pretty much the source for this kind of information. It's worth remembering that, while international spending is now capped under the CBA, these markets are radically different than the amateur draft held in June. The Cardinals have made some big buys in Latin America and two of their top prospects (Oscar Taveras, Carlos Martinez) hail from that area not to mention the failed Wagner Mateo signing.
Ben Badler has reported on the Cardinals signings this year including:
- Edmundo Sosa, Panama, 16, $425k, SS
- Joshua Lopez, Venezuela, 16, $475k, C
- Luis Bandes, Venezuela, 16, $350k, OF
- Ronald Medrano, Nicaragua, 16, $???, RHP
- Henry Alvarado, Dominican, 16, $150k, OF
Click through the links for scouting details (subscription only). These are noteworthy but it's always good to remember just how many prospects fail not to mention 16-year-olds who will have to adapt to a very different way of life state-side.