The cold chill from the cloudy night follows the stranger into the bar. The man catches his balance and shakes the residual water droplets from his saturated raincoat.
"Oh !@#$ no one look," whispers Chris Carpenter as he quickly turns around and hunches his shoulders, in a feeble attempt to hide from the newcomer. "Is he !@#$%^& looking? No, don't !@#$%^& look at him. Just... is he looking?"
"He is waving at you," Mark Mulder answered, "And now he is on his way over here."
"!@#$ !@#$%^& !@#^&* !!!!"
"Wowie, everyone's here! I am pretty sure I just bumped into Brad Penny, even," the stranger began, "I am so glad I found you guys. I was starting to get really lonely-"
"-Yeah about that," interrupted Mulder, "This bar is really more an injured pitchers thing. I mean, you are welcome to stay, but I think you will find more your scene across the street. I am pretty sure I heard Cesar Izturis was doing karaoke tonight. You understand, right?"
"Oh," said the man with a quiver in his lip, "I see, of course. Well... wait, what is he doing here? He isn't a injured pitcher." He then points to Rick Ankiel.
"Oh, but aren't I? Aren't. I?" Rick answered cooly.
Ty Wigginton shook the three men's hands with a surprisingly firm grip, like he never wanted to let go, "Well... I will see you around?" And with that, he put up his hood, opened the door and with tears falling down his chubby face slowly disappeared into the dark and stormy night. - MLB Daily Dish
Other Things Going On in Baseball...
- Fifteen games today! - ESPN
- A part of me just adores when things like this happen in professional sports. It takes me back to the simpler times of my not-so-distant childhood. - MLB
- Ryan Howard, St. Lousian, is moved from the fourth spot for the first time since 2008. Also worth noting, Jamie Moyer. - Hardball Talk
- Baseball's most valuable pitcher, as in a cost/return ratio. So beautiful. - Beyond the Box Score
- Brett Lawrie... this jokes just writes itself. - SBNation (Not sure if safe for work... I think so, right?)
- Nolan Ryan's first pitch was worse than that pop singer's from last year. This is like, the top five worst ones I've seen, actually. And I have seen things. - Cut4
- RIP Clayton Kershaw. - Sports Illustrated
- Other Dodger injury news: Brian Wilson is placed on the DL. - Hardball Talk
- Oh dear, Mets PR person... this is quite a mistake. - CBS Sports
- While the replay system is a good step in the right direction, it is not without its flaws. - Hardball Talk; MLB
- A high school pitcher threw a perfect game and struck out... everybody. - SBNation
- New York Met, Daniel Murphy, welcomed a new baby into this world. And people are being jerks about him wanting to see his child. Come on, people. - Hardball Talk
- Mike Trout got paaaaiiiiiddddd. - MLB
- With contracts ever-increasing, we are left wondering exactly how they will grow. Here is an attempt at an answer. - The Hardball Times
- Ever wonder how the teams got their names? Wonder no more! - Mental Floss
- A couple Cardinals made this 2015 Golden Era Hall of Fame Ballot. Check it out for nostalgia and the like. Special thanks to bobcat80 for this link! - Hall of Stats
- The Derek Jeter Retirement Tour starts in Houston with these niffty gifts from the Astros. - Hardball Talk
- Today's free game of the day on MLB.tv features Minnesota at Cleveland at 2:05pm CST. - MLB
- Also relevent: Bartolo Colon "batting" - Cut4
crying pic.twitter.com/ACr8AshskV— Lana Berry (@Lana) April 3, 2014
What the Cardinals Are Up To...
- En serio Matheny? - STL Today
- Opening day line-up for the Memphis Redbirds has been announced.- MILB
- Talent-wise, the Cardinals pitching is pretty stacked, which means the lack of experience doesn't really matter much. - STL Today
- Minor League Ball was having a Cardinals discussion. I cannot tell if it is too late to join, but you can still read it! - Minor League Ball
- Remember how we couldn't decide if Matt Adams pushed that fan a little angrily? Well... - SBNation
- The Cardinals Care Run is open for registration. More on this in a minute. - MLB; Cards Conclave
- With the Opening Day win over the Reds, Adam Wainwright won career and Cardinal game number 100. The moment was not forgotten by one of his teammates.
Congrats to Waino on his 100th win... Great player better person... #cardinals— Matt Carpenter (@MattCarp13) April 1, 2014
KNOW THINE* ENEMY...
THE NL CENTRAL:
- Cubs President, Theo Espstein is quite "over it" when discussing Jeff Samajaidaonfoadi trades and/or extensions. - Hardball Talk
- How do the Brewers' crop of young players look... meh. - Viva el Birdos
- Joey Votto is good at baseball. - The Hardball Times
Pittsburgh Pirates 2 - 1 .667 St. Louis Cardinals 2 - 1 .667 Chicago Cubs 1 - 2 .333 Cincinnati Reds 1 - 2 .333 Milwaukee Brewers 1 - 2 .333
THE PITTSBURGH PIRATES, APRIL 4 - 5:
- Tonight the Cardinals take on last year's intense rival, the Pirates, in Pittsburgh at 6:05pm CST. The game will be televised on Fox Sports Midwest, MLB Network, and ROOT Sports. You can find it on the radio at 93.7 KDKA or of course, just KMOX 1120. - MLB
- While the Cardinals have been busy taking on the Reds, the Pirates have also been facing inner-divisional foes, the Cubs, resulting in some crazy finishes. - MLB
- Let's compare some defense! - Fangraphs
- Bucs Dugout site manager, Charlie Wilmoth, has recently published his book, Dry Land, chronicling the last 2 decades of Pirate fandom through the words of the fans themselves. As a baseball fan, I think it looks really interesting. - Bucs Dugout
- The Cards are worried about the Pirates now, but should they worry more about the Pirates later? - Viva el Birdos
- Fink gives us a series preview before tonight's game. Study up. There will be a test. - Viva el Birdos
- For more info on the Dread Pirates, check out the Bucs Dugout! - Bucs Dugout
Viva el Stuff...
- dr. howl looks at the Cardinals roster this season, with this post about Peter Bourjos and Jon Jay. - Viva el Birdos
- stlfan also looks at projections of his own. - Viva el Birdos
- dr. howl appears to be the biggest homer in Viva el League, but isn't that something to be proud of? - Viva el Birdos
- And now to that Cardinals Care info I promised. hazel looks to be in charge this year, so check out his post for info. VEB looks to again be putting together two teams. It is a lot of fun and for a good cause, so if you are interested, check it out! - Viva el Birdos
- This week's archive post feature a Red Baron mini epic. It is one of my favorites. I teared up a little bit, so maybe read it when you are alone. (Thanks TBender for helping me find this!) - Viva el Archives
- B g-money h does his Week in Review, for those that would like to catch up from last week. - Viva el Birdos
- Monday's links featured Opening Day. I wrote a poem. - Viva el Bridos
The Blues have won two in a row and set a new franchise record for wins in a season with 52 after their 2-1 win against the Sabres on Thursday. - St. Louis Game Time
Oh, and forward T.J. Oshie scored in the shootout again on Tuesday.
Forget Bitcoin. Oshie is Money.— CrossCheckRaise (@CrossCheckRaise) April 2, 2014
- If you do happen to also be a fan of sticky puck, single game playoff tickets for the St. Louis representative go on sale tomorrow at 10:00am. - NHL
- USA vs. Mexico game ends in a draw, dos a dos. - SBNation
- Mother Nature has been quite unkind to the Midwest lately with severe weather outbreaks across the St. Louis area and possibly a tornado touchdown near U-City. - The Weather Channel
- I want you all to be safe so please make sure you are aware of the proper protocol for severe weather storms such as tornados, and what they look like. - Ready.gov
|Monday, March 31||Cardinals||1||Reds||0||Recap|
|Wednesday, April 2||Cardinals||0||Reds||1||Recap|
|Thursday, April 3||Cardinals||7||Reds||6||Recap|
3 days until the home opener, yo!
Special thanks goes to flood for sending me a bunch of great links this week! You are a hero to the people.
If you feel inclined to send me links, please do so. I read all of them and occasionally have a witty response! It is great! Tweet me at @lil_scooter93 or e-mail me at email@example.com.
* I changed the title from "THY" to "THINE" at spants' request because she is cool and it is technically grammatically correct, although I maintain the "THY" sounds better.