- Greg Garcia (SS): 1-5, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Mark Ellis (2B): 1-3, R, K
- Joey Butler (LF): 3-4, BB
- Stephen Piscotty (RF): 0-3
- Xavier Scruggs (1B): 0-3
- Tommy Pham (CF): 1-4, K, SB, E (throw)
- Oscar Taveras (RF): 1-1, R, 2B, BB (Double-Switch for Whiting in 6th inning)
- Boone Whiting (SP): 5.2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 9 K
- Lee Stoppelman (RP): 1.1 IP, 4 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, HR
- Jorge Rondon (RP): 1 IP, 1 K
- Mark Ellis acquitted himself well in his first rehab start with Memphis.
- Boone Whiting continues to rack up the strikeouts...and the walks: 29% K rate in his two starts against Iowa, but a 8.7% walk rate as well. Both would be career highs for Whiting.
- Lee Stoppelman...oy. Struck out Brett Jackson (surprise, surprise) to end a bases loaded threat in the 6th inning in relief of Whiting, then started the 7th by walking the leadoff hitter, striking out Logan Watkins looking, and then the wheels came off. Jermaine Curtis, on in relief of Ellis, misplayed a pop-up that landed for a hit and Stoppelman couldn't recover. A single to score a run and then a HR off the bat of Matt Szczur. Growing pains, for sure, but the Cardinals need him to grow up fast with all the struggles in the big league bullpen.
- Mike O'Neill (LF): 0-2, 2 BB, K
- James Ramsey (CF): 1-4, R, HR, RBI, K
- Aledmys Diaz (SS): 0-3, HBP
- Jonathan Rodriguez (DH): 0-3, BB
- Patrick Wisdom (3B): 1-4, K
- David Popkins (RF): 0-4
- Anthony Ferrara (RP): 3.1 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 K, HR
- David Rollins started for Corpus Christi, walked O'Neill, and then left the game with an undisclosed ailment. This is the effect pitching to Mike O'Neill can have on a person.
- The Hooks bullpen was excellent in relief of him, allowing just four hits with the Ramsey home run being the only one for extra bases. That came in the ninth when the game was no longer in doubt.
- Wisdom is 3-16 with 6 K's in his last 4 games.
Charlotte 8 Palm Beach 7 (14 innings)
- Charlie Tilson (CF): 1-7, R, HR, 3 RBI, K
- Breyvic Valera (2B/1B): 2-5, 2B, BB
- Jacob Wilson (3B): 0-5, BB, K
- Anthony Garcia (DH/LF): 0-4, 2 R, 2 BB
- Nick Martini (RF): 2-5, R, 2B
- Starlin Rodriguez (LF-2B): 3-6, R, RBI, K
- Alex Mejia (SS): 2-6, R
- Cory Jones (SP): 1 IP, 6 H, 6 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
- Sam Tuivailala (RP): 1.2 IP, 2 BB, 2 K
- Cory Jones' only inning featured a wild pitch, a passed ball (which could have easily been a second wild pitch), and two walks. Let's just say Jones hasn't quite got the consistent command you'd like to see in a pitching prospect.
- Jones did stick around long enough to allow Andrew Toles to steal two bases off of he and Casey Rasmus. Hard to read a lot into that since Toles stole 62 bags in low-A a year ago, but Jones does seem to have some issues with holding runners.
- Sam Tuivailala has struggled with his control so far, but he's yet to allow an earned run in his 3 appearances.
Schedule for 4/14/14: