Here's the first of what is going to be a regular feature going forward, and has been at Future Redbirds for some time. For the unfamiliar, the Daily Farm Report, or DFR, reviews the stat lines of notable players in the Cardinals minor leagues from the night before. It will always cover the lines of prospects listed on our Top 20s, and will also include other notable players, like rehabbing Cardinals, new draft picks, etc. It may also, occasionally, include some commentary by the Future Redbirds writers.
During Spring Training we're fortunate enough to get some assistance from the organization to provide you with these lines from minor league camp games that we would not otherwise have access to. It should be noted that which level a player is playing for on a given day in Spring Training may or may not reflect where he will play during the season; don't draw any conclusions about where a player will start based on which affiliate he played for over the weekend.
Unfortunately, there are no minor league games to report from St. Patrick's Day, but here are some lines from over the weekend. Without further ado...
Saturday, March 15, vs. Marlins affiliates
Memphis defeats New Orleans 4-1
- Anthony Ferrara allows H, BB, and records a K over 2 IP
- Seth Blair also pitched 2 innings, allowing a H and an ER
- Aledmys Diaz went 2 for 4 with a BB and K, scoring once
- Oscar Taveras was 1 for 2
- Tommy Pham was 2 for 2 with an RBI
- Joe Cuda threw 2 IP, with 2 H, a BB, and K
- Breyvic Valera was 3 for 5 with 2 R and an RBI
- Starling Rodriguez was 3 for 3 with a R
- Alex Reyes pitched two innings, allowing 4 H, and 3 ER
- Carson Kelly had a big day with 3 hits in 4 ABs, including a double and four-bagger (a deep solo shot to LF). He scored twice, and had three RBIs.
- Silfredo Garcia recorded 4 Ks in just 2 IP
- Rafael Medina was 1 for 3 with a solo HR
- Jon Keener was 1 for 2 with a HR and 2 RBI
Sunday, March 16, vs. Mets affiliates
Memphis and Las Vegas tie 4-4
- Sam Gaviglio surrendered 2 H, and 3 BBs against just 1 K in 2 IP, but escaped with only 1 ER
- Tommy Pham, as a DH, continued his strong weekend with 2 hits in 4 ABs, including a double and a run scored
- Rafael Ortega played CF, and went 2 for 3 with an RBI
- Dixon Llorens had a scoreless IP, allowing one hit
- Robert Stock, an 2nd round pick at C from USC in 2009 and now reliever, also pitched one inning. However, he allowed 2 hits and a walk, striking out one, and surrendering one earned run.
- Anthony Garcia was 2 for 3 with a game-tying two-run homer, a BB, K, R, and 3 RBI
- Kenny Peoples-Walls was 2 for 3, and scored once.
- Sam Tuivailala pitched a scoreless inning, allowing just one hit.
- Cesar Valera, serving as an EH or Extra Hitter, because minor league spring training games sometimes operate by their own set of rules, was 1 for 3 with a double and an RBI.
- Chris Perry had 2 IP, with a hit and strikeout, allowing no runs.
- Mike Aldrete, son of bench coach Mike Aldrete, also had a shutout IP, allowing walking one and striking out one.
- Oscar Mercado, playing at SS, was 2 for 3 with an RBI