July 18, 2012; Milwaukee, WI, USA; St. Louis Cardinals first baseman Lance Berkman (12) lands on his back while trying to catch wild throw from St. Louis Cardinals shortstop Rafael Furcal (15) (not pictured) during the game against the Milwaukee Brewers in the first inning at Miller Park. Mandatory Credit: Benny Sieu-US PRESSWIRE
- Adam Wainwright's line: 7 IP, 9 SO, 4 H, 1 ER
- Trevor Rosenthal threw a shutout inning in relief
- David Freese and Allen Craig homered
- The Cardinals had seven hits to the Brewers' five
- The Cardinals drew nine walks to the Brewers' two
- Francisco Rodriguez walked three and gave up a hit in the ninth inning
Rodriguez was called upon for the fourth consecutive game with the Brewers leading 4-2. He easily struck out Skip Schumaker for the first out but things got hairier for K-Rod as more skilled hitters came to the plate. Pinch-hitter Carlos Beltran doubled. Rafael Furcal walked. After pinch-hitter Matt Holliday struck out for the inning's second out, Craig walked to load the bases and then Freese was walked to make it a 4-3 ballgame. With the bases loaded, Berkman flew out to deep left field to end the game. Rodriguez got one of the ugliest "saves" of the season just as Wainwright received one the most undeserving pitching "losses" of the year.